wyeast 1272 help. to pitch more or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd3612

Reaction score
Day 7 of a AG smoked porter, pitched temps were good, Og was 1.062 hoping for a 1.010 to 1.012 fg. air locks were very lite and one bucket did do much at all. I am at 1.024 right now. 10 gallon batch. Should I pitch 1/2 a pack to both buckets or a whole packet to each?

Thoughts?

Thought I saw this somewhere.
How much yeast did you originally pitch? What was the production date of the yeast and did you make a starter?

I made a yeast starter with stir plate but stir bar keep coming off so not sure how much it helped. I did
2 packs of yeast. I was doing 2 batches and had 1056 as well. So 2 packs of both and I can't recall but I think the 1272 did not swell and the other one did but no sure. Date was July but thinking the yeast might have been a issue if it was the one that did not swells.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The amount of yeast pitched may be a problem unless your recipe contained a high amount of unfermentable sugars. A mash temperature that was to high may have limited the conversions to fermentable sugars.
For right now I would plan on giving the beer more time. Post your recipe and your mash temperature. What has been the temperature of the wort during fermentation?

Besides the recipe and mash temperature, how big were the starters?
Smack packs of Wyeast not swelling isn't anything to worry about. Can't understand what exactly you did, but was this a split batch with one half on 1272 and the other on 1056?

Are you measuring gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? Refractometers are not accurate once alcohol is present.

mash was about 149 degrees I fly sparge and we were about 176 ( beersmith was calling for 168) but left lid off the cooler to cool it down. 3 tiered cooler sysetem. cooler for mash and hlt gravity feed down.

i had 2000 ml starter ( 8 oz malt dme to 2000 ml boiled 10 minute cooled to 75) was on stir plate about 24 hours however like I said stir bar keep flying off ( home made plate) so don't think it helped much. I did pitch everything and not decant . Put 1000 ML in one one bucket and 1000 ml in the other. the 1056 was for another batch same day.

I assume that you could get a high gravity reading with un fermentable sugars so even if you hit your planned gravity it might not be there.

This was a smoked porter in which I wanted to experiment with smoking the grains myself. read up on this subject here and about everywhere. I even modified my smoker (which never goes below 200 deg) with a secondary smokey joe webber on top to "cold smoke" it. never reached more then 120 degrees during smoking. Went to the trouble of tracking down a alader wood from Calbea's as I am making a Alaskan Smoked porter clone. I did a test and settled smoking 5 lbs of the brewers pale 2 row malt. after smoking them I put them in the oven a lowest temp which was 170 for til I could taste them and they had same texture and crunch as the malt prior to smoking ( i sprayed them with water during smoking)

So maybe the smoking process created some unfernmentables.

Ferm temps have been stead at 70 deg according to the strip temp gage on the bucket.

recipe
10 gallon
1 lbs 8 oz black patent
2 lbs 8 oz chocolate
5 lbs 8 oz 2 row
5 lbs 8 oz 2 row smoked on my smoker
8 lbs munich

1.5 oz chinook at 60
1 oz willamette 30

mashed at 149 was shooting for 152 missed that
sparge 176 was shooting for 168
Lauter time was about 1 hours
start of sparge gravity was 1.099
end of runnings was 1.016
pre boil gravity 1.062 end was 1.061

pitched yeast at 75 deg/ both starter and wort were at 75

Also i used a Refractometer and for the beer after fermentation I use hydrometer.

I wouldn't expect it to go lower than 1.015, and with that much roast malt probably a bit higher. 70F ferm temps should be fine with 1272 (even a touch high), so I'd expect it to finish fine. I'd try rousing the yeast.

ok so after 2 weeks in primary measures 1.022 , tried rousing the yeast as well.

here is the odd thing I made 2 10 gallon batches one was this one and it took came up short on the OG at 1.022 as well. different yeast.

Only thing I did different in my process of 10 gallon batches with no issues on OG was that I typically take about 2 hours to Sparage (fly) to get the 13 gallons of wort . on both these batches I pushed it to 1 hour and the gravity were measuring fine.

so can you rinse the grains to quickly and cause this.?
Dale

Back