Wyeast 1056 primed keg fruity taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanN

Reaction score
Not sure what the cause of this is but I added priming sugar to a keg two weeks ago and it tastes a little fruity/sweet? I am unsure if this is the yeast that caused these flavors or if I am picking up on some of the priming sugar? I have not put this keg in the fridge yet but have been tasting it daily and the yeast have definitely been working in the keg.....it's like a high pressure stream coming out of the tap. The beer is not sufficiently carbonated but that's probably due to it being warm. This is the first time I've used the 1056 (usually use US-05)...does it throw with some fruit compared to 05? Ferment temp @ 64 for at least 6 weeks. Main issue here is I RAN OUT OF HOMEBREW ready for consumption and it's driving me crazy! OG was 1.052. Thanks!

If you're sampling daily, you're removing the c02 that was building up during keg priming so the beer will not carb up. Each time you open the tap, you release some of the keg pressure. You might as well put it in the kegerator on the gas at this point.

Usually, 1056 is really nice and clean for me. It's possible that your starter wasn't large enough and it was underpitched and that can cause some esters. Six weeks or more on the yeast cake wouldn't have helped, but it probably didn't hurt.

I have actually only tried it the last few days...I really lack patience and I keep thinking I am over analyzing the flavor.... Next day it tastes the same. I am pretty sure this flavors from the yeast and it's okay just not expected. I will leave it alone for a few days before I throw it in the fridge. By the way this your house pale ale :). I brew this recipe more than any other. Thanks for sharing it!

After some thought (and lots of tasting) I am sure this is some esters I am picking up on. I did not make a starter because I thought it was unnecessary given the SG of 1.052...package said anything less than 1.060 needed no starter....lesson learned I guess. 30-40 batches and this is the first time with I've tasted this. Would dry hopping the keg (in refrigerator) do any good?

After some thought (and lots of tasting) I am sure this is some esters I am picking up on. I did not make a starter because I thought it was unnecessary given the SG of 1.052...package said anything less than 1.060 needed no starter....lesson learned I guess. 30-40 batches and this is the first time with I've tasted this. Would dry hopping the keg (in refrigerator) do any good?

It can't hurt but you may have some hops with fruitiness instead of covering it up.

(always make a starter, or use two packages of yeast if using liquid yeast and the OG is over 1.040).

That was fast, thanks. I think some time will help this beer too, the yeast have not totally settled out and I'm sure that's not helping. Thanks again, I appreciate your advice.

Latest posts

Back