Wyeast 1028 Fermentation time - too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfan87

Reaction score
I had a packof Wyeast 1028 that inflated pretty well and pitched it into some 1.046 Wort on this past friday evening. (Aerated for a couple mins with pure O2 and diffusion stone). It took 36 hours to show Krausen. It was going pretty good for about 48 hours and the Krausen dropped.

I am fermenting at 65 F. This just seems a little bit fast for the Krausen to drop. It was also unusual that it took so long to show signs of fermentation. My other brews have showed signs of fermentation overnight.

This pretty typical for 1028?

First time using it. I have seen mixed experiences on other threads.

Thanks

I had a packof Wyeast 1028 that inflated pretty well and pitched it into some 1.046 Wort on this past friday evening. (Aerated for a couple mins with pure O2 and diffusion stone). It took 36 hours to show Krausen. It was going pretty good for about 48 hours and the Krausen dropped.

I am fermenting at 65 F. This just seems a little bit fast for the Krausen to drop. It was also unusual that it took so long to show signs of fermentation. My other brews have showed signs of fermentation overnight.

This pretty typical for 1028?

First time using it. I have seen mixed experiences on other threads.

Thanks

I have used this yeast many times, but I have always made a starter with it first.
From experience, it starts right up in about a day, and then rips through my 1.055ish OG beers in about 3 days at about 66-68 degrees.

Take a gravity reading to see where you are at. This yeast does work fast, but it doesn't drop out like WLP002/Wyeast 1968 does.

Keep on brewin'

No experience with this yeast but recently read on HBT that it does best at its lower temp range. A dark cherry note may result if fermented high enough but I don't know how high is too high.

Would love to get this yeast!

Back