WY3787 Bottle Carbonation - Add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foosier

Reaction score
So about a month ago I bottled a big triple which had fermented from 1.090 to 1.005 with WY3787 Belgian High Gravity Yeast. This was after a short 2 week fermentation. I cracked a bottle today to see how the carbonation was going and it was very lightly carbed. Certainly not to style and certainly not what I was wanting. I used a heaping 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 5 gallons of finished beer and bottled. the bottles have been resting at room temp of around 75-76 degrees for 4 weeks. It certainly tasted good but was awfully sweet as would be expected of an uncarbed triple.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this yeast? Should I just wait longer or should I pop the tops and add some high alcohol yeast to jump start carbonation? This beer is awfully tasty. Would hate to ruin it with low carbonation.

That is a big beer so it can take a lot longer to fully carb up. I have never added yeast at bottling time and have always had my brews carb up. I did a 11.5% BDSA that took months to fully carb up. But it is not a problem since a beer like that will benefit from some aging anyway. Just let them sit for another month or two and see what the carb level is at. I would bet it will be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have never done a beer this big before and usually keg. Since I knew this beer could use some age, I figured bottling would be best. Just am surprised at how long it is taking to carb up. Oh well, I can certainly put this up for later. Was kind of thinking it might be a nice Thanksgiving beer at this point. :drunk::rockin:

Latest posts

Back