• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT brand new 20 g kettle for smaller one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
So due to space constraints and other things, I need to downgrade my never been used brew kettle to a smaller one. Only reason I bought the 20 gallon one was because they didn't have any 15 g kettles so I got it for the same price. So I want to downgrade the 20 to a 10 g. I know it sounds crazy to DOWNGRADE in size but it'll be best for my situation. Good news is I'll be the only one drinking the beer in my household ;) So I'm looking to trade this nice 20 gallon never been used kettle for a 10 or MAYBE a 15 gallon one, used is fine as long as it works and is in fairly good condition. Of course to make up for the price difference I could use other brew equipment/ingredients etc. I still need a new burner, and some other equipment.

The kettle is 20 gallons, has a weldless thermometer and ball valve. I haven't used it yet, and it would still need to be washed with something like Comet to remove the polish (at least that's what the vendor told me).

If anyone is up to trade, lemme know, of course it should be local-ish, anywhere in Riverside, San Diego, or Orange County.

:mug:

EDIT: Okay so due to the fact that my iPhone is completely messed up (camera is scratched completely, pictures come out extremely crappy. These pictures are from the same guy whom I bought the kettle from. They appear to be very similar to Spike Brewings kettles (check out their kettles). Anyways here they are, I am gonna try to get a hold of a better camera.

http://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_dlwM4ljSD2i_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_7SqTilT8MmP_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01717_dOUZnRW83su_600x450.jpg

Why not just use it? I have a 44 quart which makes it nearly impossible for me to do 10 gallon batches. I'd trade you, but mine is no where near the same value or capabilities (still need to add a ball valve). Or find someone close to you that is interested in splitting batches?

Well I have no problem having 10 gallons of beer to drink, I know a few friends who would help drink it and of course I could use as gifts. The problem more lies with actually brewing. I'm gonna be doing BIAB to save myself money and time from having to mess with MT and HLT. Since I'd be using a propane burner outside, I'd have nothing to connect the pulley to pull the grain bag out of the beer. Also, since I'm still new to brewing, I feel it'd be better for me to build experience through the smaller batches, not to mention I feel I'd be able to use the money spent on a 10 gallon batch to brew 2 five gallon batches instead. Big fan of variety!

As far as batch splitting, I know a friend who wants to get into brewing who would be willing to do that if I can cure the BIAB problem I have.

You'll regret stepping down, keep that pot. You can still do a 5 in that. You don't spend much more, and you could still brew 2 totally different beers off the same batch. Adjuncts, sugars, dry hopping, oak aging, different yeasts. Plus you'll appreciate the space when you want to do a BIG beer with 30lbs of grain in a 5-8 gal batch.

Trust me, hold onto it. At least try a few biab batches.

I'm not too far away from you (Glendale) - I have a 3 vessel setup with 15 gallons pots - each has welded 1/2" fpt for thermometer and ball valve. I might be interested - can you post a pic or two or perhaps a link showing the pot? Is it stainless? Do you know the maker? I have been considering going to a 20 gallon boil kettle and trying biab again (tried it once a long time ago).

Nice, yah it's about an hour and 20 away give or take. I'll try to take some pictures tonight. It is stainless, I'm not sure the manufacturer, I have a guy out here that fits the kettles with the thermometer and ball valve (weldless). Not that i know a lot about kettle quality but it seems very well made.

Jake I built a cheap overhang for my biab that worked great and could hold my 200 fatness. If you want a drawing let me know

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

I appreciate the replies guys, but taking plenty of time to think about it, I don't really need to do more than 5 gallon batches. I love variety, so when it comes to prices for ingredients, I'd rather pay for 2 five gallon batches rather than a 10. It's also much easier to work with. Perhaps when I brew for a bout a year or so I may want to move up but for now I'll be perfectly fine doing 5 gal.

Oh and I added pictures from the person I got the kettle from. He gets the Kettles minus the 2 ports and then drills and attaches the valve and thermo to them. I put the links in the original post, if you want more I can try to snake my ladies iPhone since my phone is incapable of taking even a remotely decent picture.

Not sure if it meets your need, but I have one of MoreBeer's "heavy duty" 8 gallon pots with a ball valve and thermometer. It's a tank (and barely used).

Hit me up if you're interested. I'm in Carlsbad.

Back