Wow, talk about knuckleheaded...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Recently I was making mention to the fact that I made an IPA that
A. Was too dark (WAY)
B. Had nice hop aroma, but bitterness was lacking
C. Tasted like beer, but I was disappointed.

Well, today I decided to tap my brown ale which was naturally carbing. I took a pull of this (warm beer) and noted how incredibly LIGHT it was.
It didnt hit me until later on today that I DRY HOPPED my Brown Ale and left the IPA to carb.

Now I have a highly hopped brown ale, and a very bitter pale ale.
Life is grand!
-Me

LOL Im not upset upset, but upset that I have 2 beers now that are NOTHING like I intended them to be.

I think the brown ale was brewed with an oz or 2 of kent goldings or something like that.
Then dry hopped with Centenial and Warrior.

Good stuff - its almost gone! But I thought it tasted a little funny...
-Me

You know, a little blue tape and a sharpie could resolve your confusions in teh future.

Either you are a mindreader, a Jedi Knight that is putting these thoughts in my head, or a future nagging wife in practice. :p
-Me

If you have 'em both on tap... that'd make a fun black and tan combo. :D

Damn! Thats not a bad idea!
Let me finish this warm glass of IPA I just poured (I cant even wait for it to get COLD!)
Then im gonna try it!
-Me

Yeah that's tough. I typically slap the blue tape and sharpie on every carboy. Then I peel it off and put it on the keg. Makes it pretty hard to get messed up.

Can't you just dry hop the IPA as well? And have a for real IPA and a dry hopped brown ale? (India Brown Ale?)

Let me finish this warm glass of IPA I just poured (I cant even wait for it to get COLD!)-Me

I know how that is. Which is why I have stopped priming kegs.

Doesn't stop me tho'. I mean you really DO have to check, just to make sure, that the keg hasn't fully carbonated the day after you hooked it up. Right?

I know how that is. Which is why I have stopped priming kegs.

Doesn't stop me tho'. I mean you really DO have to check, just to make sure, that the keg hasn't fully carbonated the day after you hooked it up. Right?

LOL It seems that this whole 2 batches were still afflicted by the noobismish streak in me. (So excited about them that It was rushed) BOTH kegs were primed and set aside to prime at the same time. A week in, I tapped my "IPA" and ended up force carbing the rest of it cause I was out of beer. The (real IPA that I thought was brown ale) got to sit for 2.5 weeks and carbonated nicely.
This whole thing has just been one tasty mess!
I love this hobby
-Me

Latest posts

Back