WOW..Really fast fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehoppy

Reaction score
Well I brewed up a batch of my house brown ale on Monday morning. OG of 1.051...pitched a .8 liter starter of wyeast 1272 American ale 2. Fermented in my cool basement which is 60 degrees. It is now 2 and a half days in and has reached final gravity of 1.012!! Krausen has almost completely dropped! This was by far the quickest fermentation I have had. Gonna raise temp a few degrees for cleanup then cold crash and bottle next week.

It may have finished the active fermentation, but it is unlikely done. I never do anything with my beers until 14 days to 4 weeks. You can rush it if you are very careful. If you have not truly reached final gravity you risk bottle bombs.

A brown ale gains some from a little longer aging.

That's happened to me quite a bit with a properly pitched beer, especially with some yeast strains that I use most often. Generally, I reach FG in 3-5 days for many ales under 1.050 and usually 5-7 days in ales greater than 1.060. I have had some ferment out overnight, but that's uncommon.

It sounds like your fermentation is going along perfectly.

Oh don't misunderstand the post, in no way am I saying it is done. It will sit in the primary for a while. This is just the quickest fermentation that I have experienced to date. Won't be drinking until the end of march.:mug:

Back