Wow my cider is still fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
Hard Apple Cider 5 1/2 Gallons - 5 1/2 Gallons Apple Juice, 4 lbs Brown Sugar, Liquid Cider Yeast, Gravity 1079 02/20/2013

I checked this after a week, airlock was still going off a ton, checked it again a few days later, still going ever 2 seconds, checked it after 1 1/2 weeks, still every 3 - 4 seconds. I just came home from a 4 day trip, just checked it, so it's been going 15 days, and I still see activity every 6 seconds about :D

Not a problem, cider can take 3-4 weeks to ferment dry especially with the higher gravity you are doing. What temp are you fermenting at and what yeast are you using?

Far from out of the ordinary. But make sure you're checking the hydrometer reading too. If you had a very vigorous fermentation, you're going to notice your airlock going a little crazy, when all you're actually seeing is trapped CO2 coming out of solution.

Generally I take a hydrometer reading, when I see the airlock only going off every 1 or 2 minutes. Not every 4 - 6 seconds. I'm going to let this go longer.

I'm fermenting around 68 degrees, and used a Wyeast Liquid Cider Yeast. I'm not worried, just was surprised when I came back from my 4 day trip, and it's still going off like this :D

Latest posts

Back