Wow. I actually enjoy my Homebrews!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
Not to seem like a jackass, but I had a homebrew, grabbed a beer I enjoy by a brewery I really enjoy and found myself wishing I had another of my own instead.
I'm lucky I didn't make something that sucks (to me).

I understand there's something called the "IKEA Effect" that says people like things more of they made/built it themselves. And that's definitely part of it. But I also think that novelty would wear off once I had a better beer. But I found myself craving my own.

Guys...we can make our own beer! To hell with mapping the human genome. This is as close to playing god as it's gonna get!

damn man, i'm drinkin a 'special b' diacetyl bomb, with only 2 oz's of 4% AA cascade hops in a 10 gallon batch.......but i feel good...kinda like how my new love of cotton ass wipes feels...."on the whole"....lol :mug: (and maybe it's the fact i've allready drank 10 9% of them, my keg kicked, and now i'm working on my 11th 9% cider, to just try and keep the thread alive!!!)

I understand there's something called the "IKEA Effect" that says people like things more of they made/built it themselves.

I call it Cellar Blindness, which I stole from winemakers. I believe that, in general, the worst person to evaluate the quality of a beer is the person who brewed it. Even wrote an article about this a while back.

That's not so say that your beer might not be flippin' awesome, just that others are in a better position to judge that.

That's my stipulation when I give out beers . I ask for honesty because it helps me with my process. I've given some of my beers away in a raffle and have received really good feedback . When asked where I learned to brew I tell them, my aunt and HBT!

Yep, that'll happen haha. A brewery opened up in my hometown at the very end of last year. I hadn't gotten around to checking it out ( it was always majorly busy and I'm kind of over the whole crowded barroom scene) until they went carry out/pick up only. Super convenient to just order a crowler or two and bring them home to compare with the same style I had brewed and still on hand. I felt mine tasted and looked similar enough( or definitely better, in a few cases) to what they had been serving commercially. Doesn't mean that either one is necessarily good or well done, but it definitely bolstered my confidence that I wasn't just pumping out bucket swill. If I could make something half as good as their saison or dopplebock, I'd be ecstatic though!

Brew on, drink on!

I call it Cellar Blindness, which I stole from winemakers. I believe that, in general, the worst person to evaluate the quality of a beer is the person who brewed it. Even wrote an article about this a while back.

That's not so say that your beer might not be flippin' awesome, just that others are in a better position to judge that.
And if the judges know you it should be done blind.

It's a curse and a blessing. After 12 years or so....you'll start to pick out what's wrong with beers at your local breweries. Your favorite beer, won't be your favorite anymore! Congrats and welcome to the secret. If you take your time, you can make some quality brews!

It's a curse and a blessing. After 12 years or so....you'll start to pick out what's wrong with beers at your local breweries. Your favorite beer, won't be your favorite anymore! Congrats and welcome to the secret. If you take your time, you can make some quality brews!

Being a beer lover, nerd and someone who works at a craft beer bar, I have been doing that for years.
I am always the person who spots the bad in beers rather than just enjoying them. It is a curse. But I still love beer, so I make sure to know that even a bad beer is fun and was someone else's passion (hopefully).

To be fair, while not all of my creations are perfect, none of them sucked. I'll admit to "proud papa" some of them. Others that I've been disappointed with I've been told were really good by people with trusted opinions. The end product didn't meet what I was intending, but taking out personal bias, was probably good.

Regarding BMC, it's usually mass produced for wide appeal, aka, boring and safe.

Regarding craft/micro breweries, not always difficult to out perform. Don't get me wrong, some are really great. But there is a local shop that ferments in a non-temp-controlled warehouse. Winter brews are decent-ish, but summer brews from the 110f warehouse are crap.

I couldn't, and later didn't, buy any Ale Yeast. I could only find Baker's yeast and it leans a little banana/clove. WLP300 seems to have similar esters, from my research. Not saying it's good, but with that in mind, I actually have come to enjoy it. Last night I poured out the sediment from the bottle of my bottle to the last sip in my glass. It was a little like Juicy Fruit gum? I have a ton of the yeast left and no job. So I'll include yeast in my next purchase online, but I'll happily try to work with what I have. And my wife keeps baking bread, too!
Win win.

Cheap? Who you kidding? LOL

for my initial investment of a big pot and cooler for about $400-600...i've saved $7k a year for 15 years now.....yeah CHEAP....in a pinch i can drink 18-20 beers a day all year for $500....i actually did it in 2017 as a proof of concept experiment.....(i think it was 2017, my memory is a bit fuzzy, lol)

2016alcohol.jpg
2016nutrition.jpg

ok, being that i got a couple laughes out of my last post...i might have forgotten the year...but that's why i keep meticulous records....it was 2016, and only about 223g's alcohol, so on avg 16 beers a day....but being that 2820 calcs is what i burn sitting on my ass drinking, and i met all nutrition target, (that goes down into single amino acid lower too)....without supplementing...i'm a pro!! :D I LOVE MY HOMEBREW!!!!!!

edit: i do take a b12 and vit d.....and biotin, choline.....but that's just because there's no data for biotin and choline, and i'm a only a occasional meat eater.....that sits indoors drinking all day......

Well, I like my mead, and honestly, better than the output of the nearby meadery. (Which I visit on tasting day occasionally.)

But I don't think that's because I'm awesome at brewing. It's because he favors dry meads, and I like mine sweet. Isn't that half the point of homebrewing, to be able to tune in your recipes to your own preferences?

I understand there's something called the "IKEA Effect" that says people like things more of they made/built it themselves.
Well hell, that would explain my fascination with my homebrews, my cooking and even my flatulence. Perhaps my wife could enjoy all of those a little more if she only understood my artistry.

Not to seem like a jackass, but I had a homebrew, grabbed a beer I enjoy by a brewery I really enjoy and found myself wishing I had another of my own instead.
I'm lucky I didn't make something that sucks (to me).

I understand there's something called the "IKEA Effect" that says people like things more of they made/built it themselves. And that's definitely part of it. But I also think that novelty would wear off once I had a better beer. But I found myself craving my own.

Guys...we can make our own beer! To hell with mapping the human genome. This is as close to playing god as it's gonna get!
I think as brewers we go through phases. The first few years I probably suffered from the IKEA effect and thought my beers were better than they were.

Then after brewing a bunch, the pendulum swung the other way and I was probably overly critical of my beers.

It's all part of the brewers life cycle. These phases make us better brewers and therefore better able to analyze and critique commercial beers (and also enjoy a well made craft beer).

Back