Wow--cider really does improve with age!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwoodks

Reaction score
I didn't think that it could possibly be true. This was my first foray into cider making, and I fermented my first batches at WAY too high a temp (mostly in the upper 70s and 80s), especially for the yeasts I had, and the resulted cider tasted AWFUL. But now, four months later, it's really okay. Other people think it tastes great, but I'm not going that far, but it's certainly drinkable and actually very pleasant.

I didn't think that it could possibly be true. This was my first foray into cider making, and I fermented my first batches at WAY too high a temp (mostly in the upper 70s and 80s), especially for the yeasts I had, and the resulted cider tasted AWFUL. But now, four months later, it's really okay. Other people think it tastes great, but I'm not going that far, but it's certainly drinkable and actually very pleasant.
We just kegged our wild ferments from 2019, and they were finally drinkable. 15 months.

My experience is that it takes about 6 months even for a relatively mundane yeast with relatively well controlled temperatures.
We have found that using S04 will get us fully clear, very manageable cider in 3-4 months, Notty takes 5-6. This is using mostly Haraldson and Harald Red apples, which is about all we have locally.

We have found that using S04 will get us fully clear, very manageable cider in 3-4 months, Notty takes 5-6. This is using mostly Haraldson and Harald Red apples, which is about all we have locally.

I did my last batch with Notty and... like you said.

SWMBO has a friend who just bought a house with "inedible astringent apples" and one of these days when we can go see him again I am going to try to convince him to give me a peck of 'em and add some of them to the mix and see of that helps with the overall aging time.

Back