Would you use this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
I picked this up from my LHBS yesterday, and it looked kinda funny when I got it home. This morning, here's what it looks like. The date on it is December 11th 2014. It looks like dead yeast. Yesterday it had sort of an orange hue. It's been in a cooler of ice from the store to my fridge.

1409231062342.jpg

Doesn't look dead to me. The appearance of the yeast will vary from strain to batch of the same strain. Only real way to tell is to pitch it in your beer, if it doesn't take off then I'm sure your LHBS will make it right, at the very least it will be a free tube of yeast nutrient. Oh, maybe take a smell before you pitch, if it's off then you will know.

What strain? Not all yeast looks the same.....

Either way I would make up a starter and see how it goes, it's probably perfectly fine.

Yes! Use it fast! That's how that stuff looks when it's first filled, and it ain't getting any younger!

That yeast is an absolute monster. I made a 3L starter with it to pitch into an 1.100 imperial stout. Was a little concerned when the fermentation slowed to a crawl after 3 days. Down to 1.024. Insanity.

With yeast that fresh, you may not even see much fermentation activity in your starter, but you should be able to swirl off gas. I'm sure it's fine.

Latest posts

Back