Would you straddle two burners on a gas stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blorton

Reaction score
I need to get a brew kettle and have been thinking about getting a ten or fifteen gallon in order to use it straddled over two burners on my stove. The problem is that the total diameter would have to be 18", and I know that would make things wobbly. I'm only doing five gallon batches, for now. :D

Has anyone done this? I'm currently using a bayou classic propane burner outside and want to get away from having to mess with tanks and carrying stuff back into the house.

Thanks.

I did same thing for my first few batches, but I've found that I get much better temp control by using my propane burner instead. For me, it's much easier to control the boil with a single burner.

We have a 7.5 gallon pot and we do this every time. The boil isn't super-vigorous, but it works. (And works better than using just one burner.)

It's an old stove from the 50s that is my wife's baby, so we have to put foil-covered oven mitts on either side to keep the heat and soot from hitting the stovetop and cracking the enamel.

I do this to heat up strike/sparge water, then carry the pot outside to my propane burner for the boil. Mrs. MyNIP likes how the house smells when I brew indoors, but I can't get a nice rolling boil on the stovetop.

If you decide to use one burner (or even two), placing heavy-duty foil under the burner helps get you to boiling (it radiates heat upward and as an added bonus catches boil-over drips). Also, with my gas burner, I have to add my SS immersion chiller to my boil kettle during the entire boil to get a large volume (~10 gallons) of wort to roiling boil--that makes a huge difference on my indoor set-up.

I did this for a long time in my old apartment.

However, I think insulating the boil kettle makes a bigger overall difference, and after doing so, I was able to do 5 gallon batches comfortably on my stovetop where I had been straddling two burners previously.

Nowadays I brew outside on propane, which is worlds better, but I understand not everyone has that luxury.

I'm really liking the propane burners. Yes, it's outside and hot, but the wife is happier for not having the house smell like wort.

Latest posts

Back