Would you pitch this whole jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I harvested 3 1 pint jars of yeast from my beer yesterday, and I am brewing a 2 gallon batch of this today:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/founders-breakfast-stout-clone-139078/

I'm not sure the yeast has completely settled, but it looks like each jar has around 300 ml of yeast.

The most conservative estimate Mr Malty gives is 155ml of slurry.

So should I just use 1/2 of the jar, or do you think it would hurt to dump the whole thing in?

BkIXybS.jpg

isnt the good yeast contained in the clear liquid ontop of the slurry? correct me if im wrong i cant remember.

you might read woodlandbrew's examination of yeast harvesting. having said that, this culture is so new, i'd probably use it all. or most of it and see what happens. it is pretty hard to overpitch a beer.

Estimate 2 billion cells per milliliter for the solids in your jar. Mrmalty, showing a value of 155 ml, would be a very healthy pitch rate.

I calculate that you need to pitch 123 billion cells into 2 gallons of 1.086 ale wort.
Using the estimate of 2 billion cells per ml slurry you could say you have around 600 billion cells in there total.
I say you would be WAY over pitching if you dumped the whole thing in. Over pitching is preferred over under pitching but let's not get crazy. If you do decide to get crazy, please post your results, I would be very curious of any ill effects.

If JasontheBeaver isn't all wet then mix up your harvest real good, split it in two and pitch one in its entirety. Otherwise if time permits cold crash decant and pitch.
I should be sleeping right now.

Back