would this work for a small batch allgrain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
Hey everyone

So i've got some random leftover ingredients. Not enough to make a full 5gal batch, But enough to make about 2.5 gal of average strength beer. Rather then going out and grabbing some DME to bump it up to 5 gal, I'm wondering if I can do my standard mini-mash method, but not add DME and do a smaller batch. You might ask why no just do the bigger batch, but Ive got an IPA that I just bottled, and a band I play in is heading on the road for a week, so It'd be nice to come back to a fermented beer to work with. So the beer is fine

So essentially mash my grains in my rubbermaid cooler/mash tun, do my sparge, all the while planning to do a full wort boil for a 2.5 gal batch. I have enough hops to make a batch like that as well. I don't see any problems with that.

Basically my recipe is 2kg (4-5lbs??) of 2-row, .25lbs of wheat malt, and I have about .5oz of hallertauer, and .5oz of saaz. I've worked over some stuff in beersmith and playing with the hops, I seem to be able to get an average strength beer, with about 25IBUs.

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this? Seems like a half decent way for me to attempt an all grain batch. No idea what this is going to end up tasting like, but it might be a good experiment. Your thoughts are appreciated

Back