Would this work for a burner valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I was thinking about automation on a single tier... Why the need for the honeywell gas valves? They are EXPENSIVE and seem to be quite overkill. Why not just fabricate some stand-alone pilot lights and install solenoid gas valves? I know the factor of safety is not there like with the honeywells but that safety level is only needed in those valves because gas furnaces are left unattended. I will be right with my brew stand while in use. Anybody have some experience using these cheaper automated valves?

ALSO... what is needed in a brew stand? I assume the valve needs to be NORMALLY CLOSED... NOT Normally Open.

burner vavle.JPG

if its not rated for gas, its not to be used with gas.

honeywell valves use seals that are compatable with flamable gasses, and all internals are non-sparking.

if the internal piston in a regular air/liquid solenoid valve, like the one pictured, happens to strike its mating surface and cause a very tiny spark, that turns the valve into a hand grenade and you get to go to the emergency room or morgue.

if its not rated for gas, its not to be used with gas.

honeywell valves use seals that are compatable with flamable gasses, and all internals are non-sparking.

if the internal piston in a regular air/liquid solenoid valve, like the one pictured, happens to strike its mating surface and cause a very tiny spark, that turns the valve into a hand grenade and you get to go to the emergency room or morgue.

Ok... fair enough... haha!

following that knowledge, if it is rated for combustibles, then it should work, right?

Honeywell valves are not overkill. Not using the proper equipment is overkill... as in dead.
Same reason you have them installed on your furnace and the correct size wire is used in electrical applications. Dead brewers aren't much fun. :cross:

But are you paying the money for the quality of the valve or for the honeywell name? Although I would be a bit cautious using a "knowckoff" valve even if it says it is good for use with "gas". Is that meaning petrol or lpg/propane or some other inert gas (as oppose to liquid). You might pay more for the Honeywell name but you do get the assurance that they know what they are talking about and can stand by the fact that 100% hand on heart you can use their valves for propane, etc.

You're right, there's RobertShaw also.
We build stands they are shipped all over the country. Our products have to be safe and reliable. Also, we are striving to be the best home brew stand builder in the business and that includes not cutting corners like our competitors. Like the name says: "BadAss" :D

Ok... I believe I have been convinced.
I have, however, decided to hit up my local HVAC repair guys to salvage valves out of gas furnaces they remove. Maybe I can get some for a more reasonable price that way.

Ok... I believe I have been convinced.
I have, however, decided to hit up my local HVAC repair guys to salvage valves out of gas furnaces they remove. Maybe I can get some for a more reasonable price that way.

Now you're talking. They can help you get it set up too. Good luck!

Back