would this work as a fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. They're called Vittles Vaults. You can probably find them at your local petco / pet smart. Amazon also sells that 20 gal one for under $50.

It's pretty common to use those vittle vaults. There are several threads discussing them, and several homebrew shops sell the larger version with a grommet on the lid, an airlokck fittend and a spigot on the bottom.

TuffTank22.jpg

But price them out at Pet supplies plus before you buy, you might get them cheaper there, especially if there's a coupon for the store in a circular or if they're having a sale.

The first time I saw one of these vittle vault fermenters was on here from an online retailer, the 20 gallon one was selling for over 100 dollars. It pissed me off because the 20 gallon container sells in the 30-40 dollar range, a grommet is 10 cents and an airlock and spigot can be bought for under 5 bucks for both of them.

also if i have a 20 gallon fermenter how many gallons can i put in/ how much head space is needed? i don't secondary at all. thanks again

I personally don't like spigots on fermenters. I think they end up potentially being breeding ground for infections, but other people like them. It's a matter of choice.

I personally like spigots because they can provide a cleaner transfer than a siphon. While I don't bottle anymore, they're also nice for bottling because you can connect a bottling wand right to the spigot.

The typical LHBS spigot is fully disassembleable after a run under some hot water. They're also so cheap I replace mine every half dozen or so brews.

I have two of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJOOI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They work pretty good. One of them got an air leak, not in the lid, but in the "rim" that the lid screws into. It's a different part than the rest of the container. It's not a big deal though. I plan on putting some silicone caulk next time I use it (on the outside, not inside).

Last edited by a moderator:
ajwillys said:
I have two of these:
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJOOI

They work pretty good. One of them got an air leak, not in the lid, but in the "rim" that the lid screws into. It's a different part than the rest of the container. It's not a big deal though. I plan on putting some silicone caulk next time I use it (on the outside, not inside).

How many gallons is that one?

Last edited by a moderator:
The old style Coopers fermenters have a spigot with a plastic tube inside that has a slot on the top of the tube. That lets you drain without picking up the sediment from the bottom. You might be able to buy one of those or fashion your own.

Back