Would this pump setup work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram5ey

Reaction score
I'm new to using pumps but I wanted to get your opinions on if this would work. Basically I'd like to be able to use the pump to whirlpool and then run to my fermentor without changing hoses. Attached is the diagram of what I'm thinking.

Thoughts? Would this work?

image.jpg

It is a good start. Something that will help with your setup is to make sure that the input to the pump is pointing down so the liquid comes up through the pump. I have heard that you want to have a drop before the pump to have gravity help you. I second the bleed off for your set up. change your T to a 4 way and include a bleed off like they have the November BYO article, Build A Homebrew Pump, as well as your output to the recirculating whirlpool and the fermenter and you will be in business.

Have fun with it, I started where you are now and I am on my 5th version of pump configuration. Just find what works for you and if it doesn't, don't sweat it, take notes of what you like and move on.

Hope this helps,

-Timur

It is a good start. Something that will help with your setup is to make sure that the input to the pump is pointing down so the liquid comes up through the pump. I have heard that you want to have a drop before the pump to have gravity help you. I second the bleed off for your set up. change your T to a 4 way and include a bleed off like they have the November BYO article, Build A Homebrew Pump, as well as your output to the recirculating whirlpool and the fermenter and you will be in business.

Have fun with it, I started where you are now and I am on my 5th version of pump configuration. Just find what works for you and if it doesn't, don't sweat it, take notes of what you like and move on.

Hope this helps,

-Timur

Yeah i meant to mention that the pump configuration was not what I actually have. I agree.

If your setup is not hard plumbed, I fail to see the purpose of an additional bleed valve when you can just use the 2nd valve for purging air and running off to the fermentor.

Back