Would this be considered a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I'm thinking about something darker for the colder months.

6 lbs gold LME
1 1/2 lbs crystal 60
1 1/2 lbs munich malt
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz franco belges kiln coffee

1 1/2 oz glacier 60 min
1/2 oz glacier 5 min

not sure what type of yeast yet.

Since the extract likely has a portion of crystal malt mashed in it already, that may be a little more C60 than ideal. It might be ok with a really aggressive yeast like Nottingham. The Munich might not have quite enough surplus diastatic power to have a good amount of headroom for your mash, so a little pale malt couldn't hurt.

Something that I learned from Denise at Moylan's is that Black Patent is the signature grain of Porter. A little goes a long way though -- a quarter pound in five gallons, maybe.

Glacier should be fine, though I really like Chinook in Porter....

Only use black if you like black. Personally I don't like it. Add more Choc if you really want more dark malt. I would drop a half lb of the Crystal.

I assume you are going to mash, and not steep, otherwise the Munich will be a waste of time.

Should be good.

A 1/2 lb of kiln coffee is a lot! I found 4oz is about the max for my tastes.

A 1/2 lb of kiln coffee is a lot! I found 4oz is about the max for my tastes.

What flavors does it give? I used 0.5 lbs in a beer recently (7 gallons). Only been going 2 weeks, haven't tasted it yet. It is an experiment, there are no other dark grains in the beer; making a Brown ale with it and Brett yeast.

What flavors does it give? I used 0.5 lbs in a beer recently (7 gallons). Only been going 2 weeks, haven't tasted it yet. It is an experiment, there are no other dark grains in the beer; making a Brown ale with it and Brett yeast.

I think it tastes like concentrated burnt marshmallows. In small amounts (2.5-4%) I actually think it adds a nice roast like complexity, though I would never use it as a replacement for chocolate malt or anything like that. Only recipe I use it in now is for my Irish Stout, which has it at 3% and is noticeable.

Maybe 1/2lb is fine for a 7 gallon batch. I usually make 4 gallon batches, so it might not be a huge % of your grain bill.

I finally got to brew this up. OG was 1.054 and used S-04. Stuck to the origonal recipe. Can't wait to try this. I'm ready for a dark brew.

Latest posts

Back