Would I be breaking any laws if....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptKaos

Reaction score
If I pay deposit to my local beer store for empty kegs, do I lawfully own them? I want to make a brew kettle, mash tun and HLT.

I remember how you could potentially get in trouble for having milk crates that said they were owned by the dairy farm.

I have a hard time believing half barrel kegs only cost 30 bucks to manufacture given the cost of 300 series stainless steel.

Yes, paying the deposit and keeping the kegs is stealing. They are worth a lot more than 30 bucks. Try talking to your local distributor. They often have old or slightly dented kegs they can't use anymore.

Not everywhere and not if the contract doesn't state that the keg must be returned irregardless of the deposit. Search for the DFH Keg Score thread. Not rehashing it again.

This has been discussed to death here, and there are varying opinions about the legal/moral issues. Your instinct is correct about the cost. Breweries typically pay ~$100 each for the kegs. My opinion is that the kegs belong to the brewery regardless of any deposit paid, and many kegs have this statement stamped into the top or sides. If you're looking for kegs, call your local breweries and distributors and ask if they have any they're looking to decommission. That's how I got mine, and they ended up being even cheaper than the local going deposit rate.

The party store owner swore to me that it was fine for me to do this. He also said the distributor never expects the same amount of empty kegs back that he is supplied full. He told me in Michigan I could return the keg to any beer store and be refunded my deposit.

I still have a hard time believing that it is lawful. He showed me some of his empty barrels and there were no tags on them.

Thanks for the quick replies and the search hint. I am a noob here.

One can rationalize most anything with very little effort. I simply went to confession right after I took possession of my keg and received absolution. Now I no longer lie awake at night worrying about it. Done and done; good night!

best legal bet is to talk to local breweries. i bought all mine from them for the deposit because the top was blown on them, and they were no good anymore

This has been discussed to death here, and there are varying opinions about the legal/moral issues. Your instinct is correct about the cost. Breweries typically pay ~$100 each for the kegs. My opinion is that the kegs belong to the brewery regardless of any deposit paid, and many kegs have this statement stamped into the top or sides. If you're looking for kegs, call your local breweries and distributors and ask if they have any they're looking to decommission. That's how I got mine, and they ended up being even cheaper than the local going deposit rate.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back