Would boiling 8 oz mason jars allow for sterile empty storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
If I took a half dozen jars and boiled them up for 15 minutes, Could I then seal them up and store them until needed for yeast slurry without reboiling them?

Just wondering if any of you do that.

You mean boil them in water and seal them up full of water? Sure, I do that all the time. I usually have a bunch of jars sitting around for yeast washing. (Guests think its moonshine)

Actually I was thinking pour the water out and seal them up empty. But I guess I could put water in them if it is safer for storage.

Keep them topped off with the water, if they get oxygen in there a bit of wild spores could contaminate future yeast.

Just a note. Boiling won't sterilze, only sanitize. I fill jars with water and pressure cook them and then store until needed. The sterile water comes in handy if I need it and I always have sterile stoarge medium at my disposal.

Just a note. Boiling won't sterilze, only sanitize. I fill jars with water and pressure cook them and then store until needed. The sterile water comes in handy if I need it and I always have sterile stoarge medium at my disposal.

That's another idea I hadn't thought about. I could place the jars in my pressure cooker. So you fill with water and add a little for the bath as well?

Boiling them in any pot will sanitize them fine, keep the boil going for a bit, Kind of like a hot water bath, and with new lids, they will seal completely after chilled. I'm not an expert brewer but I'm pretty good with sanitizing things.

Sterlization I would tend to find uneccessary for this process, however, if you did want to sterilize you would need at least 15 psi for 30 minutes minimum. (that will bring you to 250 degrees) That is enough to kill all micro-organisms and other things that sanitizing won't. The only place there is a constant need for this level of sterilization is medical tools.

That's another idea I hadn't thought about. I could place the jars in my pressure cooker. So you fill with water and add a little for the bath as well?

Definitely put water in the cooker. You can't run them dry. I treat a batch of water jars just like I would anything else.

I do a 20 min boil with the jars and lids In a big pot of water. Pull the jars out with water filled to the top of the jar , seal them and there ready for use. Always keep the water from the boil in the jar. Your going to be using this water to wash the yeast anyway.

You could place foil over the tops and heat in the oven to sterilization temps. After they coll a bit, place lids and let them seal as they cool

I also pressure can water for rehydrating yeast. And I can Starter wort for easy starter builds, and I've even canned some sugar water for easy priming solution.

I'd rather spend a couple of hours on one day making other brewing processes faster and easier.

Dry heat sanitization will take a higher temp. Be sure to google what you'll need to kill yeast spores, sorry I don't remember right now.

There's all sorts of ways to sanitize your jars. I like boiling them personally because it's so easy. Thanks for the post too. I never thought of boiling ahead of time and leaving the water in the jars.

You could place foil over the tops and heat in the oven to sterilization temps. After they coll a bit, place lids and let them seal as they cool

I also pressure can water for rehydrating yeast. And I can Starter wort for easy starter builds, and I've even canned some sugar water for easy priming solution.

I'd rather spend a couple of hours on one day making other brewing processes faster and easier.

I like the idea of canning wort for starters, Just make a few gallons and can some qts, that will make starters much easier. I think I will start doing that. All of you here are phenomenal, it is nice to not only learn from your mistakes and experience but from others' mistakes and experiences as well.

Back