Would a Potentiometer Control an A/C Motor for a Grain Mill??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htc

Reaction score
The house we just moved in to came with a dish washer, only it didn't work. It surely won't work now, not only because we replaced it, but also because I tore it to pieces. I scavenged a lot of nifty switches and relays and stuff that I'll learn how to use later but what I want to use now is the motor. For a grain mill.

No pics as of yet, but it's a 1/3hp, 110v, 3100rpm motor with a threaded shaft. The problem is that when I use the handy dandy interweb thinkin machine here: http://www.blocklayer.com/Pulley-BeltEng.aspx, it says I need at least a 2" to 24" plus pulley system. And that only gets me down to 260rpm.

I know, it's too much spin for a mill, but more than that, I don't fancy the idea of 2 feet plus worth of twirling anything when I'm around a brew or two. I know that you guys use potentiometers with your stir plates, but that's DC. Would it work in a similar fashion with an AC motor?

The house we just moved in to came with a dish washer, only it didn't work. It surely won't work now, not only because we replaced it, but also because I tore it to pieces. I scavenged a lot of nifty switches and relays and stuff that I'll learn how to use later.....

My hero!

I don't have much to add. 260 isn't best, but it's probably fine. People spin their drills much faster than that and have no issue. I'm sure you can play with different pullies and get it lower as well.

On second thought... probably not. You need to change the frequency of the power not the voltage.

Maybe something like this Router Speed Control?

Only if it's an AC/DC brush-type motor:

Description
This router speed control works with any universal AC/DC brush-type motor, 15 amps or under, to give you control over your router speed. The result is longer bit life and better results depending on the application. Featuring a three-way rocker switch, the dial controls router speed as you work on wood, plastic and even aluminum.

USAFsooner is on the right track....if its a 120AC motor you shouldnt use a potentiometer...I have never seen an AC one just DC. Shoot over to home depot and grab a light dimmer switch (just make sure it can handle the load of the motor). I was just messing around with builiding my own stir plate and came into the same problem (I used an AC motor to avoid getting a DC power supply). It may not be pretty but it will work just fine
As far as changing the frequency...if it is 120AC, 99% of the time it is going to be 60Hz..I wouldnt mess with that..plus it could be a little $$

Latest posts

Back