Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezron

Reaction score
I've gotten the go-ahead from SWMBO to convert the side-by-side fridge in the garage to a kegerator. She wants to still be able to sue the freezer for overflow and to put water and soda in the fridge for the kids. I figure I'll be able to fit 2 corny kegs in and run the faucets through the door (so that it can be moved around the garage if needed).

That said, my main question is: is a kit worth it? Would I save money putting together the parts for myself? With the kits, how hard is it to add additional faucets to it later (like if I bought a single and added a second after the fact)?

For reference, the fridge is a Kenmore Coldspot 106 (build date 08/2004)

You'll usually save money by assembling everything yourself. Although the kits aren't too expensive and you get everything all at once.

Once you know the pieces involved, it will be easy to add additional taps.

I like the build your own from kegconnection where you can see your options. They also come fully assembled and I assume tested. I did the kit just for the regulator and gas/beer lines; had already bought the kegs months before. Also check around on your CO2. Around here only 20# tanks are available and they swap them.

To me not having to figure every part and still having customization was worth that kind of kit. I'll probably partially do the same thing when I buy some faucets.

Look at what some of the kits offer you and see if you can save by putting the items in the kit individually for less. For instances, some kits will include the kegs and CO2 tank. IMO, I think you can save by buying the items individually, especially the kegs since you can save by getting those used.

Think of the beer as a river. You'll start with:

tank
regulator
gas line
distributor (or a dual body regulator, since this is a two keg setup...more on that later).
gas line(s)
gas disconnect(s)
keg(s)
beer disconnect(s)
line(s)
tap assembly (shanks and taps)

I bought a kit when I first started kegging from AiH and my distributor from Keg Connection. The lines and disconnects came from one of those two (don't remember). I found a used 4 tap tower from an HBT member and I already had 6 kegs I bought earlier(from McEver Distributors on eBay) when I first got into the hobby, so I was set.

Over time I've swapped the 5# CO2 tank for a 15# one, so I wished I had left the tank option off when I bought my kit. Same goes for the regulator as I eventually went with a dual body version so I can burst carb one keg while the others are at serving pressure. Little stuff like that I wished I had thought it through a bit more when I got my setup. Hope this helps.

Unless you have a local refill station for CO2, don't buy a shiny new tank. Just go to your local C02 swapper. It will save you a lot of money and you won't be grumpy when they take your sweet tank for some beater the first time you exchange it.

All that just to get beer into a glass?

I'll stick to bottling...

:p

('Tis just a joke, my fine fellows!)

Unless you have a local refill station for CO2, don't buy a shiny new tank. Just go to your local C02 swapper. It will save you a lot of money and you won't be grumpy when they take your sweet tank for some beater the first time you exchange it.

100%.

I had an issue with my new aluminum #5 tank taking in gas, because it was hot from being in the car (tank was empty, and the valve was all the way open to relieve pressure).

So after a half hour, the guy convinced me to swap my new tank for a beater. Good thing is he give me a bigger tank (15lbs) and didn't charge me extra for it.

The kit question has now ended up moot. I was poking around CL and picked up a 5# CO2 tank (very shiny and tested) and a box of random parts for $50 (plus, I gained a new connection with another local homebrewer).

The box has about 8-10 faucets with shanks and nuts, plus a couple of connectors, kettle valve, big bag of keg gaskets and various other random parts. I'm going online for the regulator, shank flanges, faucet wrench (found a sweet laser cut multi-tool that was recommended by a member of my club) and to the LHBS for tubing and clamps. So far, I'm in for way less than a kit and I have much more than I would have gotten.

About the only thing I don't have lined up are the kegs and the manifold. I only have a single keg's worth currently conditioned, so I figure I can just add in the manifold when I get the second ready and I've put the word out to a couple of local clubs that I'm looking to either trade kegs for the Ale Fest tix that I have or buy them outright. Worst case, I grab a couple from LHBS.

I'll start posting pictures and a log as I start the actual build.

Back