Wort volumes and temperatures in BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pensphreak

Reaction score
During my brew day, I will measure the gravity and volume several times (to measure strike water, 1st/2nd runnings, pre-boil, post-boil) so I can track my efficiency. For those numbers that go into BeerSmith (pre-boil, post-boil), am I supposed to put in the actual volume or the temperature adjusted volume?

For example, if I measure my pre-boil at 7gal @ 100C, should I put in 7gal or 6.72 (7gal - 4%)? Does it expect the volumes at 20C, 75C or 100C? Same with post-boil.

For gravity you put in the adjusted value and for volumes as well, the software takes the shrinkage into account for you

For gravity you put in the adjusted value and for volumes as well, the software takes the shrinkage into account for you

For the last few brews (that I can remember), BeerSmith's brewsheet output says to (for example), collect 7 gallons of pre-boil wort, but I measure (hot obviously) 7.3gal. This sounds like the output on the brewsheet is displaying un-corrected numbers, not accounting for shrinkage/expanding.

Yes, if you look at the equipment profile set up I believe you will see a box that has a shrinkage value that then gets used in the calculations as a loss factor used in calculating your final volume

My experience with beer smith is that the equipment profile set up is really the key to everything so it really needs to be set up pretty exact

Well, I wasn't worried about my post-boil volumes (as I knew they were accounted for with cooling shrinkage). What I was concerned about is the pre-boil volumes, as I always seemed to be off.

I did some math and found out that yes, the BeerSmith pre-boil volumes do compensate for the extra volume gained at boil temps.

Back