Wort transfer to primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
Hello,

What is the best/ most recommended way to transfer wort from a brew kettle to the primary fermenter? I do not have a ball valve on my brew kettle and do not want to add one on. I used to chill my wort and then siphon into my fermentor but now my method is to just pour wort from the brew kettle through a funnel with 2 different strainer screens. Using the funnel and the strainer screens is a tedious process because I have to constantly clean the strainers from hop material and protein cake. Are there any alternative ways to transferring wort to a fermenter? Also, is my current method potentially harmful to the wort by over oxegenating it? I also do not want a pump for this transferring process due to funds. Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Oxygenation at that stage is desirable... the yeast need it.

I just pour directly to my bucket fermenter. I pour slowly and hold back the last quarter to half gallon or so to try to keep the trub in the kettle. ( I factor that in as a kettle loss in calculating my batch size)

An auto siphon works well. Don't stress too much about filtering the trub out, it won't harm your beer. Don't worry about over oxygenation either, its impossible to achieve without using an oxygen tank.

RDWHAHB.

Get a $15 1/2" auto siphon.Rack every last drop including hot break into the bucket.It does no harm and many say youll have better beer with the hot break in the fermenter.Get a wilserbrewer hop bag so theres no hops in the liquid being transferred eliminating the need for a strainer...simple simple.
Its how I do all my beers

Get a ball valve with camlock and a bit of hose and start loving life again. Best system upgrade I had ever made.

Ditch the strainer screens in your funnel, hops and proteins will all settle in the fermenter by gravity.

You are making the process more difficult than needed.

If pouring the kettle is a problem, you can either rack the beer with a siphon, or I have even sanitized a gallon pitcher and scoop transferred a gallon at a time until the kettle can easily be picked up and poured.

I've done the pitcher trick a couple times when the kettle is to heavy to lift, and too low to siphon, it works remarkably well and only takes a couple minutes.

Latest posts

Back