Wort Temperature and Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
In the past, I've used a wort chiller down to about 72 - 74 degrees or so and then pitched the yeast, stuck it in my fermentation chamber, and off it goes. I'm brewing a tripel soon, and I'm curious if I should try to get the wort down into the mid-60s before pitching? Can anyone comment if this 5 - 10 degree temperature difference has a major impact on the yeast flavors and any off flavors (assuming the yeast is at room temp when pitched)?

Thanks!

I think this article addresses your question quite well. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

My take on it is if you pitch your yeast while the wort is still a little warm the yeast will reproduce faster so your fermentation takes off faster. This can be important because yeast isn't the only thing that likes wort and the faster the yeast reproduce, the better for them to out compete the bacteria or molds. You do need to get the temperature down before the yeast go nuts eating all that sugar because that is when off flavors are produced.

I recommend starting low and drifting up instead of the other way around. It’s not directly a flavor issue, but yeast shock. Yeast like to warm up (slowly) cooling not so much.

Chris White, in the book “Yeast” contradicts the article in the link RM-MN provided. Yeah I know, he wrote that one too. On page 97 he says to start a couple of degrees low and let it drift up to target in 18-36 hours. Hold it there until it’s about 75% done and then let the temperature come up until it’s done. On page 67, he says some commercial breweries start a few degrees hot, especially for lagers, to compensate for a somewhat undersized pitch. Then he recommends that if you have an appropriate pitch and the ability to control temp in a reasonable time, it’s probably better for yeast health to start low.

Another thing is that before the yeast gets going, it’s hard to accurately measure temperature because of wide variations. If you set a bucket in a freezer, it might be warmer than you think.

I think it’s mostly a time issue. Commercial breweries want to get it out the door, homebrewers are not in so much of a hurry. Try it and see which method you prefer.

Like wynne said, drop it into the low 60s and let it come up to temp. Way better

I have had good success and zero stuck fermentations and I have pitched always in the 64-66 degree range. I do see that fermentation takes off slower (~24 hrs. after brewday completion) but the taste of all my beers has been good.

Back