Wort reduction DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
My stove top can only bring my brew pot to a simmer and only boils with the lid on. Has anyone here ever tried reducing the wort with a long simmer to help reduce DMS, and then adding water back in at the end? Or would this just make more DMS?

Why not just do a partial boil and add H2O to the primary to bring your volume up to the desired amount? Then when you get time/money you can get an outside solution that allows doing a full boil.

It could be boiled water at the end. I was thinking as if the wort had much of the water reduced out.

Is contamination a risk with an outside fryer/boiler? I come in smelling like a wet dog after a 5 minute walk, should I be worried about that getting into my wort?
Don't mean to be so worrisome but I have had contamination problems with must and wine in the past.

No risk of your personal hygiene contaminating your wort. Many people experience natural foreign objects of all sorts falling into the wort during the boil, not uncommon and it seems there's been no bad beer brewed because of it. You must sanitize everything that comes in contact with the wort after the boil.
If you have no other option then do a partial boil as BoisePorter said. I've done it many times, topped up with plain tap water though many would recommend boiling the water first. I think since there would be no hops in the top up water you would only need to get the water to 170* for 10-15 minutes which pasteurizes it.
Don't know a whole lot about doing wine but I believe there's no boiling going on there so you need to deal with the must differently than wort.

Haha! I was thinking it was something in the air, mold perhaps, but I guess a shower wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the reassurance.

Back