Wort pitched at 88

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelbier

Reaction score
I know, I know. I messed up. Here's the specifics. 2.5 gal batch in a 5 gal ferment bucket. 1.082 sg dark ipa (cda, whatever) I didn't have ice because the local place was out so I just put my water in the freezer during the boil thinking that would get me under 80. It wasnt and I had already added up to over 2.5 gals so I pitched it at 88.

Immediately (15 minutes) Got 20 pounds of ice and in a tub with a towel around it and fan. I assume within 2 hours it will be under 70. Should I be ok??

Edit: definitely pitched the YEAST at 88 haha, not the wort. All opinions welcome.

Although pitching yeast at that temperature is not ideal. Beer is very forgivable, you should be ok and still end up with really good beer. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

As long as the temp got down fast, you're fine. Lag time high temps won't create the off flavors actively fermenting yeast will. No harm, no foul.

Agree, if you lower the temperature in reasonable time there will be no negative effects.
Growth phase (4 hrs-4 days) is when yeast consumes sugar and creates ethanol, esters, fusel alcohol, sulfur and other compounds.. at that time you want to be at the lower edge of temperature.

Back