Wort mixed into HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMChueston0311

Marine Grunt
Reaction score
Brewed today, first day on new 3 kettle EHERMS system. setup like blichmanns pilot system with 2 3 way ball valves on the pumps. With the HLT pump and valve to the left, for whirpool in HLT, the right side of valve and the line that would send sparge/strike water to MLT was full of wort, I noticed inside the HLT was brown, obviously wort had entered. Im guessing it went through the ball valve...

Anyone else have this happen, and any ideas on how to stop this from happening? Didnt like to have to PBW the HLT as well as both other kettles.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 134
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
Im guessing the brown line on the right side of 3 way valve, some how soaked into the left side which was the whirpool for HLT stratification.

Is that a tee fitting on the right side of your HLT? If it is and the kettle side is not plugged, then that is where your “leak” is.

Is that a tee fitting on the right side of your HLT? If it is and the kettle side is not plugged, then that is where your “leak” is.

Yes, that is a Tee on the herms coil input. One side of the tee comes from the MLT, and the other side is from the HLT valve, to the herms coil, for transferring strike/sparge to the MLT.

I agree that thats where it came from. Any ideas on how to plug that? Maybe put a valve there?

I’m not sure... yet. When did the leak occur? During hlt recirculation or when diverting the sparge water into the Coil and as a result to the mash tun?

Are the fittings a little bit loose?

Also it’d seem during mashing there would be some wort in the hose leading to the 3way valve. Maybe the design of the valve some creates the leak.... I’m reaching here.

Was the pump running the whole time? judging by where the HERMS coil is mounted, and your three way valve, if the water level in the mash tun is above the water level in the HLT, then with the pump off it will flow that way until the level equalizes. Let me know

Matt

I agree! I also wonder if the 3way valve on the other pump was directed at the HLT or BK. If at the HLT, then pump on or off, you might a leak of wort until to switch that valve to the BK. At sparge tine switching the wort pump’s visceral first and then the water pumps valve could solve the mystery.

Anyways things to experiment with.

I agree! I also wonder if the 3way valve on the other pump was directed at the HLT or BK. If at the HLT, then pump on or off, you might a leak of wort until to switch that valve to the BK. At sparge tine switching the wort pump’s visceral first and then the water pumps valve could solve the mystery.

Anyways things to experiment with.

I dont think the pumps were running, but I may be wrong. I will pay more attention next time, and redirect the Wort valve to BK first, then the HLT for sparge water. Im guessing thats when it happened. I have L type 3 way valves, so when you go from one position to the next they are both open momentarily when the handle is at 12 olock. So maybe that quick switch, and Im sure I did the HLT valve first, and the weight and gravity of the MLT with a full mash couldve pushed it quickly, and as I was brewing a porter it was super dark and concentrated. But other than going around the valve, I dont see how it could leak through the herms coil etc. They are pretty tightly connected with the proper gaskets ETC.

Back