Wort Fermenting Without Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
I brewed on Sunday, and set aside 5 gallons of wort in a carboy but did not pitch yeast. The yeast is still in the yeast starter. It has been stored at about 65 degrees and it looks like it is fermenting. It has developed what looks like krausen.

What is going on? Is this possible?

Of course it's possible. Either you've got yeast lingering from your last batch, or it's picked up a wild yeast strain.

Of course it's possible. Either you've got yeast lingering from your last batch, or it's picked up a wild yeast strain.

Enough to create krausen just shy of 48 hours?

My stuff is clean. Dont think it would come from my last batch.

Why did you set aside the wort? Seems odd to brew but not pitch it... you can leave wort sitting post fermentation for weeks or months no problem, but unfermented will either mold or spontaneously ferment.

IMG_3970.JPG
This is at about 48 hours post boil. Six hours ago, it was just starting to foam in the middle.

Thats what I was thinking. This is a high gravity though. 1.070+ Cant be enough yeast to do the job.

Lol maybe not enough to do the job WELL but they're sure as hell trying my the looks of it

For sure. Had a pack of US-05. Threw it in just to boost it. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. It sure smells good.

Bacteria will also do ok at that gravity. Could be good or gross.

Im not sure that thats a krausen. It looks more like floating hot/cold break/hop sludge.

Normally this stuff doesnt float but since you have a reliatively high gravity, the liquid is denser than the floating material.

Back