Wort dropped to 36°F with yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please allay my fears:

Will my yeast still be viable once the temperature of my wort warms back up? This morning it was at 36°F. I reprogrammed and it's warming back up, I just need to know if I should plan to re-pitch some yeast or not.

Last night I finished up brewing a Centennial Blonde; I had chilled my wort to about 76°F so I waited about 2.5 hours, checked the temp and the wort was down to about 66°F so I hydrated and pitched the Notty.

Apparently when I reprogrammed my ferm chamber I forgot to hit "Set, Run" so I was running the old crash-cool program, not the updated Centennial Blonde profile. Imagine my surprise this morning. The ferm chamber is now reprogrammed and heating up and I'm assuming that I'll be fine. I just need the HBT collective to hold my hand and tell me everything is going to be alright. :mug:

Last edited:
I think you will be fine. I would shake and swirl the FV abit though.

I would wager that your yeast is fine.

The packet was (I hope) stored in a refrigerator at around that temperature when you purchased it from the brew shop, so the little guys have already shown that they can survive that. Give 'em a little warmth and they should wake right back up.

Thanks, all. With liquid yeast I almost always decant my starters so I know in my head that this shouldn't be a problem. But between this being dry yeast and the shock of seeing that temp this morning well... I needed a little encouragement.

I did the same thing this weekend. 2.7 degrees C. Reprogrammed and letting it free rise. Being a lager it doesn't have too far to warm. I'm certain we will both end up with beer.

Back