Wort Chilling Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWitGuy

Reaction score
So I was thinking that most of us here have a copper wort chiller that we use after the boil process. Knowing that the cold months are coming I really don't want to use my garden hose and have my water lines freeze and explode. I thought of taking some of those big Ziploc bags filled with water and freezing them. Once I need to chill the wort I could sanitatize the frozen water bags and place them into my keggle. Once done you could just pull them out when you've reached your desired temperature right?

Not trying to be combative, but the thought of a bag bursting/melting/leaking... makes me cringe.

Any thoughts given to recirculating cold water or something? You'd have some more investment, but one batch of beer gone wrong would probably be worth the money?

A keggle is a lot of beer though...

Not trying to be combative, but the thought of a bag bursting/melting/leaking... makes me cringe.

Any thoughts given to recirculating cold water or something? You'd have some more investment, but one batch of beer gone wrong would probably be worth the money?

A keggle is a lot of beer though...

I use my keggle for 5 gal. bathes and it works just great. The worry of boil overs are non-existant. As for the melting just as long as they are in the center of the pot so that they aren't touching the hot walls.

I have used freezer packs the same way. They are sealed and less likely to open. The hard plastic ones are even better. I worry about them leaking too, especially since it is not water inside them but have never had an issue.

I also tried a (new) heater core from a car. There has been a lot of negativity with this idea but I have investigated the unit and the manufacturing process and it is 100% aluminum with no epoxies etc to cause any problems. For the unit I have, I was able to talk to the engineers and see the process for myself for peace of mind. It does take a little more effort to clean and make sure it is sanitized but it will cool a 5 gallon batch to 70 degrees in under 4 minutes. That is just using the cold water faucet from the laundry sink.

For what ever it is worth, I have gotten lazy on the last couple of batches and just filled the laundry sink with cold water, maybe a little ice, and dropped the boil kettle in and let it set over night. It is at pitchable temperatures the next morning and gives my yeast starter a little more time to get going. No chillers to clean and much of the trub has already settled so I can keep it out of the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back