Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am having someone fabricate a copper wort chiller for me and have a question regarding the water entry/exit tubes. He said he can either set them at a 45 degree or 90 degree angle in relation to the coils. I am doing extract brewing in a 9 gallon pot (so the pot is fairly tall). I am thinking the 90 degree, straight up, is the way to go. Is this correct? Thanks!

Yeah sounds about right, your talking about an immersion chiller I presume. You'll want both the inlet and oulet "leads" pointing straight up out of the kettle so you can attach the in and out hoses.

Or you can have them run straight up, then bend the about 120 deg in relation to the vertical part, creating a fish hook shape. This is what I did since I connect directly to a hose, and wanted to be able to disconnect without the worry of some unsanitary water running back down the chiller into the wort. It also gives me a handle that doesn't require me to place my hands directly above the wort.

Latest posts

Back