Wort Chiller Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkATP

Reaction score
I've upgraded from 5 gallon batches to 10 gallon batches with my newly acquired keggle, unfortunately my 25 ft. immersion chiller is taking 45 minutes to chill a 10 gallon batch with continuous stirring.

I'm buying a march pump here shortly and want to upgrade my wort chilling. What would you recommend? CFC, Plate Chiller, or bigger immersion chiller with whirlpooling? If you recommend a CFC or plate chiller, how would you deal with hops when using a dip tube?

Thanks!

Plate chiller for sure. I have a therminator, but they all work pretty damn well. Can chill 10 gallons in less than 15 minutes. With a pump, would be faster. I don't have experience with a CFC, but it seems like a much bigger piece of equipment to deal with. I have a blichmann hop blocker, and I use hop bags still so it never clogs. I have heard good things about "the hop stopper" but have never used it.

I just converted my IC to a CFC chills boiling wort to pitching temps as fast as you can drain the wort through the coil. I too recently moved to a kettle and struggled with cooling boiling wort with an IC. The conversion was easy and I taught myself a new skill in soldering. Looked at plate chillers but clogging it scared me (I use hop socks or hop spider and have a screen at the bottom of my keggle) so I decided to convert my IC. I don't pump but use gravity.

I have a 30 plate chiller and LOVE it!

I can move the handle on the output valve on the pump, and watch the plate chiller hermometer needle move in response.

:D

Latest posts

Back