Wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandtrepair

Reaction score
Are plate chillers worth the investment? The reviews sure sound like they are just wanting to get everybodys elses opinion. We're using a coil right now doing BIAB and it takes forever to cool the wort down. (Just impatient I guess)

I didn't like the fact I cant take apart a plate chiller so I went on mine with a counterflow chiller. The big benefit to me was it is much harder to plug and much easier to clean for me.

How long is "forever"? How cold is your water source? And are you keeping the wort moving through the whole cooling process? (that one makes a huge difference in cooling time).

As a PC user I'll flat out state they require hella more husbandry than any other cooling hardware.
I wouldn't go there without understanding all the potential pratfalls, and that you pretty much need to be an OCD victim to have long term success...

Cheers!

i own the therminator. had to start using a mesh bag or hop spider to keep hops from clogging. otherwise i can cool wort down to tap temp (55deg) straight from boil. for cleaning i flush both ways multiple times and on brew day i will fill with starsan. every so often i will do a hot water recirc with pump and oxyclean. seems to do me fine.

but what got me at first was the hop clog. i was pissed, the fine pellet hops made a mess of the the chiller. go with a hop spider or paint strainer

I tried one for a couple brew days, but I could never get it “clean”. You can back flush and bake them all you want. I was never able to get everything out of them, and that bothered me. I live in Mississippi, so the biggest impediment to chilling has more to do with ground water temps than the chiller I’m using.

Just my own opinion and many will argue it but Southern California has been the gates of Hades all year. Ground water hasn't dropped below 82 since last winter and some of my regional brewing buddies on well water sources are seeing mid 90's. All these wonder chillers aren't going to do a thing.

5 gallons or less, drain the kettle directly into a plastic somethingeranother (sealed of course, maybe 5 to 10 bucks at home depot or some water or pool place), drop it into a bigger bucket (like a $7 feed bucket from tractor supply or wally world) full of hose water. Give it a few minutes of swishing the water around until it water warms up. Refill the water jacket and repeat. I find it much faster than a submersible chiller and I don't have to clean my counterflow or dick around with the 2nd pump or hoses. It also uses much less water for smaller batches.

Want it to chill really fast? Save up some amazon fresh ice packs (they give you like 10 of them free per bag) or go buy cheap ice packs in bulk and leave them in a freezer for brew days. Toss those in the water bucket. Swish the water around. Ten minutes or so you have nearly cold wort to transfer to the fermenter. Toss them back in the freezer during cleanup.

If you are a real purist, you can decant it again because a ton of trub, cold-break and gack will form chilling it that fast. I don't worry about it though, whats left in the kettle (after a quick whirlpool and a few minutes to settle) gets tossed, whatever settles after that, goes into the fermenter.

Anytime i'm doing more than 5 gallons, the CFC comes out. The water gets recirculated through the big bucket full of the ice packs. Running continuous gallons of water or buying ice seams like a waste to me.

By long time half hour 45 minutes. Just not 100% sure if I'm getting it "fully" down to pitch temp. (Hot spots) Just trying to figure out something that is more uniform I guess.

Our beer is turning out great don't get me wrong just like to upgrade or try different things if they truly are better.

How long is "forever"? How cold is your water source? And are you keeping the wort moving through the whole cooling process? (that one makes a huge difference in cooling time).

As a PC user I'll flat out state they require hella more husbandry than any other cooling hardware.
I wouldn't go there without understanding all the potential pratfalls, and that you pretty much need to be an OCD victim to have long term success...

Cheers!

Live in northern iowa so ground water temp isn't an issue haha. I'll try keeping the wort moving. Just been stiring it every so often in the process. Thanks for the info

The time it takes to get the wort from boiling to less that 160 is somewhat critical as in that temperature the late additions hops are adding bitterness and losing aroma. From that range on down to pitching temps the only real worry is the loss of aroma as heat drives off the volatiles. If you have no late hop additions, your beer can go directly into a bucket fermenter and into the fermentation chamber to cool to pitching temps. I've done that a couple times and find it to take about 30 hours to cool completely.

I use a kiddy pool full of ice water, small sump pump, and a Counter Flow Chiller. I’ll use tap for an initial drop, switch to ice water and can pump almost full out into fermenter. I usually do 15-20 gallon batches and it takes me about 30 min. I freeze milk jugs and use that ice. It takes 7-8 jugs.
In your case, why not get a small pond pump and pump ice water from a bucket through your chiller? It is an immersion right?

I put 5 bags of ice in a cooler with about 1.5 gallons of water ( the water and starsan I use to sanitize chiller) then I pump the ice water through the immersion chiller returning the water back into cooler

Then every 2 minutes or so I move the immersion cooler around

Get my wort to 60 F from boiling in less than 15 minutes

Living in Texas ground water never gets cold enough, plus the water usage is minimal

Back