Wort chiller idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I have about 20+ batches under my brew belt at this point and so far I have been pretty pleased with how the quality of my beer has been progressing. I am at a point that I am happy with my beer but I want to streamline the process to save time and effort. Overall I have made great strides in this area with the exception of one, chilling my wort. I added a pond pump to pump ice water through my IC and it worked great, but it was still the biggest pain of my brew day. I was thinking about how to simplify this process and I have a rough idea of what I want to do. I searched the forum to see if someone else had done something similar but I wasn't able to find anything. I am sure it's been done, but I just couldn't find it. Here's what I am thinking ...

Pump the hot wort through a 50' stainless steel IC that is sitting in a 10 gallon kettle of circulating ice water. I would need a March pump to push the wort through the IC, and I could use my existing pond pump to recirculate the ice water inside the kettle. I am assuming (hoping) that I can drop 5 gallons of hot wort from 210 degrees to less than 70 degrees with this system in about 10 minutes or so. Does this sound feasible?

Whats your tap water temp like? Why not go for a counterflow chiller as that seems to be basically the same as what you would acheive with your suggestion but probably cheaper and less messing around on brewday.

I chill my wort by draining it through a ~20' long coil of 3/8" copper in a 5 gal bucket full of ice water. It chills to pitching temp in the time it takes to drain into my fermenter (~10-15 min). I do have to stir the ice water as it drains, but as you mentioned you could use your pond pump for that. It takes a 10# bag of ice for a 5 gal batch, and 20# for a 10 gal batch.

Back