Wort Aeration device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
I use this to aerate my wort along with proper yeast pitch rates but wanted to see what you thought of this stir wand. I also use it to stir my mash when mashing it.

Here are a couple of pictures. This attaches to my drill and I spin.

image-2253693778.jpg

image-3959992303.jpg

I made something similar out of SS car ties from an autoparts store. Works fine for me. Although I didnt stir the mash with it. I would be leary of getting anything in the beer from the crap on the grains. Unless its a sour then all bets are off

Pitch a large slurry with 1 drop of olive oil.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf

Ive seen this going around but I still don't believe it.

Also according to there research you still need to get oxygen into the wort, adding olive oil claims to make your beer last longer in warmer temps.

"It is commonly accepted that wort aeration is necessary for yeast growth but also that oxygenation of the product reduces flavor stability. If the yeast is supplied with the olive oil during storage, normal fermentations can be achieved with improved flavor stability.The addition of olive oil to storage yeast in this study showed that consistent, complete fermentations of acceptable flavor quality and improved flavor stability can be achieved. However, these test fermentations were slower and produced an increased amount of esters compared to the controls. Although the finished product was significantly higher in ester content, it was not determined to be out of specification and was actually preferred by the internal flavor panel. The goal of improving flavor stability was achieved but at the cost of increased esters and slightly slower fermentations." page 29

You can shake it, stir it, dump it, whisk it, pump it, drill it, venturi tube it, use an aeration hose end and it all has the EXACT same result: 5-8 ppm DO. Yeast should really be pitched into 10+ ppm DO wort...that can only be done with O2 and a stone. Don't take my word on it...http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

I am not saying that anything other than O2 will not work; it is just longer, takes more time/effort and is just not as optimal...

Ive seen this going around but I still don't believe it.

Also according to there research you still need to get oxygen into the wort, adding olive oil claims to make your beer last longer in warmer temps.

"It is commonly accepted that wort aeration is necessary for yeast growth but also that oxygenation of the product reduces flavor stability. If the yeast is supplied with the olive oil during storage, normal fermentations can be achieved with improved flavor stability.The addition of olive oil to storage yeast in this study showed that consistent, complete fermentations of acceptable flavor quality and improved flavor stability can be achieved. However, these test fermentations were slower and produced an increased amount of esters compared to the controls. Although the finished product was significantly higher in ester content, it was not determined to be out of specification and was actually preferred by the internal flavor panel. The goal of improving flavor stability was achieved but at the cost of increased esters and slightly slower fermentations." page 29

It works. And the chance of oxidation is lowered quite a bit. That quote said nowhere that you need oxygen. Peg's brewpub here in Gulfport uses this method and they've had nothing but success. Also, as you can see from the link, this is how New Belgium Brewing "aerates" their wort. If you look at all of the results of this test, the olive oil actually improves flavor stabilty and head retention.

Back