Worried and need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty23

Reaction score
So it's been a week since I transferred my cider over to the secondary and it was very clear at the time but today I noticed the top is getting darker in color and some sediment is beginning to form on the bottom. Is this just left-over yeast making a last stand, or did I introduce some kind of infection? I'm thinking about cold-crashing and reracking it. What does everyone think?

ForumRunner_20131120_155927.jpg

That's A LOT of headspace for secondary, it looks like its oxidizing. I would top up or rerack to a smaller carboy asap.

^ also if you keg I would purge your carboy with co2 before filling it. But that is a huge amount of head space.

If it was very clear after the primary, why rack it into a secondary and expose it to all that air?

I just kegged 5 gallons of Graff cider this evening. It fermented 17 days, cold crashed in the primary a week and went straight to the keg. Now on the gas at service pressure with gelatin working its way from top to bottom.:mug:

Latest posts

Back