Worried about my saison.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, I made a Saison a few weeks ago, and I transferred it to secondary last night. The only reason I transferred it was to free up a primary for my upcoming Janet's Brown this week-end.

Anyways, it smelled delicious during racking-- a little funky, fruity, and slightly malty.

However, it is barely drinkable. My house full of beer snobs were attracted by the odors, but really put of by the taste. It's spicy, phenolic, with strong licorice notes and it's a little hot on the palette. It's dry as hell, so it's in style, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't toss it.

Here's the recipe:

10.25 lbs. Pilsener malt
1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt
0.38 lbs. Aromatic Malt

Yeast : WLP 568.

0.80 oz. Kent Goldings Pellet 5.00 18.7 60 min
0.40 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4.20 7.9 60 min
0.25 oz. Kent Goldings Pellet 5.00 1.6 15 min

0.50 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.50 Oz Coriander Seed Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.25 Oz Grains of Paradise Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.25 Oz Coriander Seed Spice 5 Min.(boil)

Here's some self-researched instructional relief:

"On another note, in my experience you need time for the dupont strain to come around. The beer will taste like ass for 3 months. Let it condition at cellar temps or above for at least that long, then try it, and you will be pleased with the results. My first saison with the dupont strain went from me thinking I had an absolute disaster on my hands to being one of my best beers ever 4 months later. I think the sulfur flavors tend to clean up."

From "http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52699&start=0"

Back