World War Z review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaperload

Reaction score
I have been highly anticipating this movie since I saw the trailer several months ago. I even went out and bought the book. The book turned out to be fantastic which made me even more excited for the movie.

Then I began hearing stories that the movie didn't resemble the book at all. That started to get me paranoid.

So I went and saw it last night. The movie itself was good. NOWHERE near as good as the book though. In fact, it wasn't anything like the book at all. The title is the same, both are about zombies, the lead character works for the UN, and that's about it.

Needless to say I'm disappointed. I woulda been better off not reading the book. On the other hand, the book was so awesome though. Turns out I woulda been better off not seeing the movie.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday. I thought the movie was OK, although some of the action takes place so fast that old guys like me have trouble keeping up with WTF just happened. My wife has read the book, I haven't, and she said the same thing you did.

For movies like this to be really great, they have to have "that certain feel" to them, you know, doom and gloom, like the original episode of the Walking dead, when Rick woke up in the hospital. I just didn't get that from this movie, and I really wanted it to be great.

I read a few pages from the book (Kindle trial). I planned to see the movie first (if the reviews were not terrible) and read the book after.

Chick McGee from the Bob and Tom Show said it was a fantastic movie.

I want to see it, but just because it's zombie related. If they changed it so much they should have re titled it.

i read the book a while back, i could not believe they were going to try and make a movie. i cannot imagine how they would have presented the story in the choppy interview style. thanks for the review!

I guess I will see the movie and then read the book.......although......the Hobbit would have been much better if I'd never read it, but would I really wish to have unread that fantastic book?

Hollywood is the REAL horror here.
^This. I refuse to read the book before watching the movie whenever I can restrain myself long enough. It makes it easier to stomach the "liberties" they take.

I liked it for the most part. One of the better serious (non goofy, non comedy) zombie movies I have seen in recent memory. There were a couple of interesting twists to the nature of the zombies and the plot. Some of them I think added to the movie and some that I think take away from it. I will not say much more in an effort to post no spoilers. I am not concerned I spent money to see it in the theaters but in hind sight I would have preferred to just see it on DVD/Cable down the road. I just did the standard version, 3D has not proven to be worth it in my opinion.

Didn't read book. I did like the movie except for one thing. There is no blood in a zombie movie. Like seriously none, like the walking dead is ten times more violent on TV. If it had been more violent I would have enjoyed it more, I mean for god sakes I don't see zombie movies for anything other than this.

tumblr_m9z09evM2n1rw3c3ko1_500.gif

I just did the standard version, 3D has not proven to be worth it in my opinion.
We always do the standard version whenever we can for that very reason. The problem seems to be twofold. One, The theater screens have shrunk significantly and honestly I believe unless you're in the first couple of rows, the new crappy screens they put in most of the stadium seating places (while fairly solid for 2D movies) is absolutely abhorrent for 3D. Two, 3D movies only belong in movies that are meant to make you startle or jump to begin with as it has the potential to add the effect. IE, it doesn't belong in Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc... A good example of it was that crappy remake of My Bloody Valentine 3D (dark themed movies help since the color/light lost by the glasses is high too) they did somewhat recently. I went and saw it at an old style theater with the super wide/large screen and sat about halfway back. The pickaxe through the windshield literally appeared to be sticking out 5 or 6 rows dripping blood into one of the seats. I've yet to see anything even remotely close or similar to that in any of the other plethora of movies I've had to resort to seeing the 3D version for. I have a theory that Piranha 3DD might have been worth it for that aspect in the right theater too and while it was a crappy movie, some of it's parts would have probably been hilarious in well done 3D.

Seems to just be yet another money grab by the studios as an excuse to jack up prices. At first I thought maybe they were doing it to help more theaters stay afloat because honestly I can't fathom it costs that much more to "convert" a movie to 3D in the first place. Maybe if they did that we could get less of these Sardine hall theaters and more of the old traditional (not to mention superior) large auditorium theaters.

Have not yet gone to a 3D movie in theater. Aside from the Captain EO at Disney and some Disney thing from back when I was a kid. Earlyish 3D. In my opinion it needs to be the right movie, and shooting for 3D helps a lot. I believe Jurassic Park probably is/was pretty good but would have been better if filmed that way rather than being stepped up. Too much of a gimmick now, way too expensive, and all that.

Have not yet gone to a 3D movie in theater. Aside from the Captain EO at Disney and some Disney thing from back when I was a kid. Earlyish 3D. In my opinion it needs to be the right movie, and shooting for 3D helps a lot. I believe Jurassic Park probably is/was pretty good but would have been better if filmed that way rather than being stepped up. Too much of a gimmick now, way too expensive, and all that.

I've only seen two 3D movies. The last Harry Potter one was excellent in 3D I thought. World war Z had too much action that the 3D couldn't handle well, I think. Come to think on it, the other scenes didn't seem too great either! LOL. Heck, I dunno, I'm no expert at all but WWZ in 3D was a bit of a PITA

I read the book, loved it, and before seeing any kind of trailer I was excited they were making a movie out of that book. Immediately upon seeing a trailer my chances of paying to see it plummeted. Based on the trailers it appears to be precisely nothing like the book except for the zombies and even they aren't the same kind of zombies as in the book. It might be good as a movie by itself, it might not be, but it completely ruins the experience for anyone who's read the book. Max Brooks, were he dead, would be rolling over in his grave.

Agreed. When I heard it was going to be a movie I was a little excited, then confused as I saw no way they could film it in the disjointed news articles of different battles and views way that the book was written. Joe Public would never go for a movie that jumps around that much. Great book though.

Books/comics versus movies/TV series seems to be a huge problem with zombophiles. One look at the Walking Dead thread will testify. ;)

Back