working on setting up a 240V electric brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Huelsman

Reaction score
In the basement of the homei bought 9 months ago, I've started to make preparations for a electric brewing area. Not sure if I can add photos of the space i have, that would help!

Here's the skinny: work done already to date. Pushed out a area in my basement for the brewery space. This room is about 10' wide X about 12-13' total. In that room i have a furnace, water heater and water softener. There are 3 shelving units dedicated to holding my brew gear. I have space left over, 4'x8' for dedicated brewing workspace.

There is a laundry tub in place for cleaning in place. Cold water is before the water softener, with a tap line feeding a carbon filter for brewing water. The hot water is ran through the softener on the sink.

There is 240V in place already for the brew system, which i added. 4 wires of #6 THHN attached to a 60 amp breaker. I have a 60 amp spa panel, and a control panel case for the Pids. 3 GFCI 20 amp outlets in the 4x8 area.

I'm at that point where i need to consider placement of the brew setup. All advice and feed back is welcome!

Awesome! I'm in about the same place. Just built the partition wall last night. Trying to visualize where everything I don't have yet is going to go so I can place boxes and run wires!
Good luck, post some pics as you go!

In the basement of the homei bought 9 months ago, I've started to make preparations for a electric brewing area. Not sure if I can add photos of the space i have, that would help!

Here's the skinny: work done already to date. Pushed out a area in my basement for the brewery space. This room is about 10' wide X about 12-13' total. In that room i have a furnace, water heater and water softener. There are 3 shelving units dedicated to holding my brew gear. I have space left over, 4'x8' for dedicated brewing workspace.

There is a laundry tub in place for cleaning in place. Cold water is before the water softener, with a tap line feeding a carbon filter for brewing water. The hot water is ran through the softener on the sink.

There is 240V in place already for the brew system, which i added. 4 wires of #6 THHN attached to a 60 amp breaker. I have a 60 amp spa panel, and a control panel case for the Pids. 3 GFCI 20 amp outlets in the 4x8 area.

I'm at that point where i need to consider placement of the brew setup. All advice and feed back is welcome!
IMG_20180917_200636.jpg
IMG_20180914_202354.jpg

What is your setup? Biab or 3 vessel? I brew in a converted laundry room and really enjoy it. it's a bit tight but it works good. Only thing I wish I did differently would be to have a lower worksurface. I can reach my pot OK but it's a little higher than I prefer and sometimes tricky to get the mash basket out. If you are building and setting your own counter height really consider what height you want your pot(s) Also, consider your ventilation path (if you have a window nearby) when laying out the locations.

Ventilation is important- I have an open door next to my brew set up. My low-tech way to do it is to have the boil kettle next to the door, with a fan blowing that direction. If I didn't have the big door right there, I would go with a range hood or some other way to remove the moisture.

What is your setup? Biab or 3 vessel? I brew in a converted laundry room and really enjoy it. it's a bit tight but it works good. Only thing I wish I did differently would be to have a lower worksurface. I can reach my pot OK but it's a little higher than I prefer and sometimes tricky to get the mash basket out. If you are building and setting your own counter height really consider what height you want your pot(s)

I'm setting this up to be versatile. I can do BIAB, or 2-3 vessels. Another beer Brewer also brought up the height of the counter, and the pots. The venting will go out the front of the house, but i will need to add it, and cut in a exhaust hood(6").

It didn't post my response. Another brewing friend also brought up the height of the pots, and work counters. I'm leaning towards 2 stainless steel tables in a L shape for my work space. I have the materials to make a hood. The venting needs to be added and cut in.

It didn't post my response. Another brewing friend also brought up the height of the pots, and work counters. I'm leaning towards 2 stainless steel tables in a L shape for my work space. I have the materials to make a hood. The venting needs to be added and cut in.

Are you going to use tables or equipment stands?

Ventilation is important- I have an open door next to my brew set up. My low-tech way to do it is to have the boil kettle next to the door, with a fan blowing that direction. If I didn't have the big door right there, I would go with a range hood or some other way to remove the moisture.

Have a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...denser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/

Solves the ventilation issue pretty nicely. Since you already have the laundry sink, you can just direct the water flow into the sink.

I would lay out all your equipment and work surfaces to see how everything will fit. Even doing some life-size cardboard mock-ups of your stuff will help you plan everything. It sounds like you have a good amount of space, but that can get used up in a hurry.

Some things to think about: Where do you put the fermentation chamber? What about a work table? A spot to dry your gear after it's been washed? Where do the spare kegs go? Do you want a fridge to store hops, yeast, etc? I actually did a CAD layout of my brew room before I started building it, although I have been known to overkill things once in a while...ok, most of the time!

Attachments

• Brew Room Layout.pdf
    30.5 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back