Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy_Bugger said:
Good news here:

You can block words and phrases by using Google Chrome and installing an extension called TinyFilter. It's set up for basic profanity, but you can custom block any word or phrase you want. It replaces the word or phrase with three asterisks.

It works perfectly in this forum! I haven't tested it elsewhere. It even filters words in thread titles.

I'm going to block "phrases I hate"

It's probably already been said on here, but I hate it when people say "cray cray" instead of crazy. My 55 year old aunt who still thinks and acts like she is a teenager constantly says it. I should just break the news to her that she isn't a hip teenager, rather she is an overly plump middle aged woman who only has cats for friends. Sad.

What if you know a guy named Clay and when he orders Chinese food they call him Cray, twice?

My head feels like it is going to explode every time I hear an adult say "Valentime's".

Maybe i am a bit retentitive, but once I realized that it should not be plural since there is only the one, people saying "Daylight Savings time" kinda grates at my inner grammar Nazi. When saving daylight you call it daylight saving time. It is not like you are depositing it in a savings account.

"Hops" when "hop" is more appropriate. For example:

"I have a hops garden." You have a plural garden? No, hops will be harvested from your hop garden. No one ever says, "I have an oranges tree in my yard."

This one always gets me.

Brulosopher said:
"Hops" when "hop" is more appropriate. For example:

"I have a hops garden." You have a plural garden? No, hops will be harvested from your hop garden. No one ever says, "I have an oranges tree in my yard."

This one always gets me.

I refer to it as "hops" when talking about a beer, but never a garden even if they are growing multiple strains

rockbasementbeer said:
I refer to it as "hops" when talking about a beer, but never a garden even if they are growing multiple strains

Example, please? I can still see where it could be used terribly even when talking about beer:

"This beer has great hops character."

Nooooooo!

Maybe i am a bit retentitive, but once I realized that it should not be plural since there is only the one, people saying "Daylight Savings time" kinda grates at my inner grammar Nazi. When saving daylight you call it daylight saving time. It is not like you are depositing it in a savings account.

The entire concept of day light savings time bugs me, so yes the term especially gets under my skin. Come on people does anyone actually believe we are saving day light as opposed to just moving to clock around to play anjedi mind trick on unsuspecting fools? Go ahead, set a stop watch to when the sun rises and sets and see if the actual time we have day light is any different whether we move the hands on the clock or not. I dare you. Lol.

" only a white man will think you can make a blanket longer by cutting a foot off the top and sewing it on the bottom"
I forget which native chief that quote belongs to, but it was about dst

True, though it is an interesting concept. It was established to save on energy and lighting costs during wartime. What irks me about it is that if it saves energy, why not use it all year? So you get more light in the peak of the winter? Cool. Why not have dark fall at 9 rather than 8pm in the summer and save everybody the exhaustion of the hours change. Or implement it the way William Willett proposed and adjust by 20 minutes every Sunday of April and back doing the same in September?

It kind of has a cool history though http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html.

And dangit honeycutt, you have an extraneous 's' in your post.

Is that supposed to be phone+tablet?
I've never heard that one.

Oh, you will. You will.

In their defense, what else would you call a tablet that can also make phone calls? As phones grow bigger and tablets get smaller, they're converging on a new market space and the term "phablet" seems to be gaining traction to describe these new hybrid devices.

True, though it is an interesting concept. It was established to save on energy and lighting costs during wartime. What irks me about it is that if it saves energy, why not use it all year? So you get more light in the peak of the winter? Cool. Why not have dark fall at 9 rather than 8pm in the summer and save everybody the exhaustion of the hours change. Or implement it the way William Willett proposed and adjust by 20 minutes every Sunday of April and back doing the same in September?

It kind of has a cool history though http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html.

And dangit honeycutt, you have an extraneous 's' in your post.

It ain't the only error I made. :mug:

Laboratory. Say it.
Lah-brah-toe-ree... what's the problem? :cross:

" only a white man will think you can make a blanket longer by cutting a foot off the top and sewing it on the bottom"
I forget which native chief that quote belongs to, but it was about dst

that native chief was an idiot, because he completely missed the point. it's not about making a day longer, is about maximizing sunlight during waking hours.

If you gotta be at work at 6 why does it matter where the suns at? I work all night long and never worry about the sun...

If you gotta be at work at 6 why does it matter where the suns at? I work all night long and never worry about the sun...
The idea was that by moving the clocks, families would have more time after work (evenings) to spend outside before it got dark, everyone had to come inside, and turn the lights on. Agreed that that chief was an idiot - you're not cutting an end off the blanket, you're re-positioning the blanket to maximize the amount of your body covered by it.

Of course, that was back when families spent time outside together and kids played outside, instead of on front of the TV/computer.

Decisioned: "we need this list of items decisioned before we can move forward with the project."

See also: Decisioning

Supposebly, misuse of literally, and other standards, too.

The idea was that by moving the clocks, families would have more time after work (evenings) to spend outside before it got dark, everyone had to come inside, and turn the lights on. Agreed that that chief was an idiot - you're not cutting an end off the blanket, you're re-positioning the blanket to maximize the amount of your body covered by it.

Of course, that was back when families spent time outside together and kids played outside, instead of on front of the TV/computer.

You aren't actually getting any more time though.

Well, actually you all didn't follow the helpful clicky-able link I included for you all.
"DST was first adopted to replace artificial lighting so they could save fuel for the war effort in Germany during World War I at 11:00pm (23:00) on April 30, 1916. It was quickly followed by Britain and many countries from both sides, including the United States. Many countries reverted back to standard time post-World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST would make its return to many countries in order to save vital energy resources for the war." DST was not started to do any of that. It was designed to save power so that the fuel could be used to keep the war machine rumbling. Basically the idea was to allow people to minimize the amount of power used for lighting since there would be daylight during the hours that everyone is awake and at home. This is also one of the reasons that DST dates have been shifted in recent years. Well, the energy saving reasons, not for war.

Well, actually you all didn't follow the helpful clicky-able link I included for you all.
"DST was first adopted to replace artificial lighting so they could save fuel for the war effort in Germany during World War I at 11:00pm (23:00) on April 30, 1916. It was quickly followed by Britain and many countries from both sides, including the United States. Many countries reverted back to standard time post-World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST would make its return to many countries in order to save vital energy resources for the war." DST was not started to do any of that. It was designed to save power so that the fuel could be used to keep the war machine rumbling. Basically the idea was to allow people to minimize the amount of power used for lighting since there would be daylight during the hours that everyone is awake and at home. This is also one of the reasons that DST dates have been shifted in recent years. Well, the energy saving reasons, not for war.

I hate DST! Here in Alaska, it really has no effect yet we adhere to it. Even with the adjustments in the winter I go to work when it's dark and I come home when it's dark. I misss the whole 5 - 6 hours of daylight we have because it's freaking winter up here. Now the reverse is tru for the summer, i love the 20 - 21 hours of daylight we get.
How about my friends in Barrow? DST does nothing for them. Once the sun sets in late November it doesn't really rise until early February.

You aren't actually getting any more time though.
You aren't actually GETTING it though, are you?

You go to work. You have to have the lights on at work. No difference. But you get off work, go home, and have 3 hours of daylight where you can go outside with your family, grill supper, play catch in the yard, the kids can go off to the neighbors house and play kickball in the back yard, and then it gets dark, so you have to go inside and turn on the lights, probably turn on the TV, etc.

Daylight savings time goes into effect, and shifts the entire day one hour. You get off an hour earlier in the solar day, and now you have FOUR hours at home to spend outside -- an extra hour you're not using energy to light the inside of your home.

No, you're not getting any more daylight, there's still X amount of hours in the day, and Y of those are naturally illuminated by the sun. What DST does is shift YOUR day to allow you to make better use of the naturally lit hours.

You aren't actually GETTING it though, are you?

You go to work. You have to have the lights on at work. No difference. But you get off work, go home, and have 3 hours of daylight where you can go outside with your family, grill supper, play catch in the yard, the kids can go off to the neighbors house and play kickball in the back yard, and then it gets dark, so you have to go inside and turn on the lights, probably turn on the TV, etc.

Daylight savings time goes into effect, and shifts the entire day one hour. You get off an hour earlier in the solar day, and now you have FOUR hours at home to spend outside -- an extra hour you're not using energy to light the inside of your home.

No, you're not getting any more daylight, there's still X amount of hours in the day, and Y of those are naturally illuminated by the sun. What DST does is shift YOUR day to allow you to make better use of the naturally lit hours.

In theory that makes sense. Working a 8-5 job I leave home in the dark and return in the dark during the shortest part of winter. Oddly enough though, if the goal is to give more at home light time why not do it all year around? Its not like we need it to be sunshiny and all at 4:30 in the dead of summer.

Related to the "hops" vs. "hop" thing, I hate it when people say "Steeler game" or whatever team they are going to watch. As in, "hey, are you going to watch the Cowboy game?" No, actually because I'm not aware of any football game where there is only one person playing. However I WILL watch the Broncos game or the Redskins game.

Related to the "hops" vs. "hop" thing, I hate it when people say "Steeler game" or whatever team they are going to watch. As in, "hey, are you going to watch the Cowboy game?" No, actually because I'm not aware of any football game where there is only one person playing. However I WILL watch the Broncos game or the Redskins game.

Along the sports-team-name theme, I don't like when a sports team has a name that is not the plural form of a noun.

Teams should have names like Pistons, Bruins, Islanders, Flyers, Tigers, Mets, etc.

Teams should NOT have names like Avalanche, Heat, Galaxy, etc.

In theory that makes sense. Working a 8-5 job I leave home in the dark and return in the dark during the shortest part of winter. Oddly enough though, if the goal is to give more at home light time why not do it all year around? Its not like we need it to be sunshiny and all at 4:30 in the dead of summer.

Ad see for folks like me it doesn't matter at all what time the sun is up because I'm asleep the whole time. It only matters that I'm at work from 9 at night till 6 in the morning.

Back