Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy-Klubb said:
when you become a zombie, I'll keep you safe in my garage & bring you beer on a regular basis.:rockin:

Well now I'm rooting for it.

I hate it when troglodytic idiots qualify a statement with "It's not like its rocket science"

If any of these morons knew that rocket science and the five or six simple equations that make up rocket science was less complicated than your average four slice toaster, it would probably make their pea sized brains cramp up and they'd wind up rocking back and forth in a corner for a week or two.

Thank you, I feel much better now.

I hate it when troglodytic idiots qualify a statement with "It's not like its rocket science"

If any of these morons knew that rocket science and the five or six simple equations that make up rocket science was less complicated than your average four slice toaster, it would probably make their pea sized brains cramp up and they'd wind up rocking back and forth in a corner for a week or two.

Thank you, I feel much better now.

Well, actually... ;)

The mathematics and physics involved in something like, say, landing the Curiosity Rover on Mars is extremely complicated and precise. You have to factor in the gravitational forces from nearby bodies, which changes depends on your distance (read: calculus), as well as the impact of solar wind (which depends on the shape and position of the probe), and even relativity and the time delay in sending/receiving signals to/from the probe (which again, changes based on its distance - more calculus). Not to mention figuring out how much rocket fuel it takes to get that thing up to speed, and remembering to account for the fact that at launch time, you need enough fuel not just to lift the probe itself, but the rest of the fuel (which, of course, is constantly decreasing as it is burned, but it's being burned at a varying rate, which is multivariable calculus).

I have an honours comp sci degree with a minor in math, and even I find "rocket science" very intimidating.

Well, actually... ;)

The mathematics and physics involved in something like, say, landing the Curiosity Rover on Mars is extremely complicated and precise. You have to factor in the gravitational forces from nearby bodies, which changes depends on your distance (read: calculus), as well as the impact of solar wind (which depends on the shape and position of the probe), and even relativity and the time delay in sending/receiving signals to/from the probe (which again, changes based on its distance - more calculus). Not to mention figuring out how much rocket fuel it takes to get that thing up to speed, and remembering to account for the fact that at launch time, you need enough fuel not just to lift the probe itself, but the rest of the fuel (which, of course, is constantly decreasing as it is burned, but it's being burned at a varying rate, which is multivariable calculus).

I have an honours comp sci degree with a minor in math, and even I find "rocket science" very intimidating.

kinematics-formulas.PNG
Teacher called it rocket science to make us feel smart so we wouldn't quit, wish it where that easy.:drunk:

Here's a good one "You can be anything you want to be" What? I'm sorry you want to be a millionaire, well we are all filled up on that one how about Delivery Boy for your carrier? :confused:

"When you're a father you will understand"

Ok, let me qualify this. If I'm complaining about a crying child on a plane "When you're a father you will understand" might be very true. People use it for all sorts of crap though. "What do you mean you were for the large soda ban? That law was moronic!" "When you're a father you will understand" Is that so... hmmm... does fatherhood come with a sharp blow to the head?

Teacher called it rocket science to make us feel smart so we wouldn't quit, wish it where that easy.:drunk:

Yep, Newtonian physics works great, when you're travelling less than 20,000 mph and only have to worry about gravity from one planet. Unfortunately, rocket science doesn't adhere to those restrictions, so calculus and relativity are required. :)

"When you're a father you will understand"

Ok, let me qualify this. If I'm complaining about a crying child on a plane "When you're a father you will understand" might be very true. People use it for all sorts of crap though. "What do you mean you were for the large soda ban? That law was moronic!" "When you're a father you will understand" Is that so... hmmm... does fatherhood come with a sharp blow to the head?

Oh Creamy. You ARE a father, and you still don't understand!!:(

Baby NEEDS the HUGE GULP soda..........he NEEEEEEEDS it!

"That's what she said".

Ie "that's a big stick". "That's what she said"

I have two that bother me.....

When people are giving out a number like a phone number and they oh instead of zero, like eight oh five (805). Oh is a letter not a number, its eight zero five.

When everyone is sitting around talking about sports and they refer to their favorite team as we (We picked his guy up/we are going to beat the crap out of what ever team).......you are not part of the team. You are not going to beat any other team, your going to sit on the couch drink beer and watch other people play a game.

FSCparrothead said:
When everyone is sitting around talking about sports and they refer to their favorite team as we (We picked his guy up/we are going to beat the crap out of what ever team).......you are not part of the team. You are not going to beat any other team, your going to sit on the couch drink beer and watch other people play a game.

I also hate when people do this in stores. Like when you go to lowes and ask about an item and the sales person takes you over there points at the lots of items and says " this is all I have right here." If he owned all the those items he wouldn't be working at lowes. I have no idea why it irritates me but it does.

I hate it when the store checkout clerk hands me the receipt and says, "here ya' go!" It's as if they are really saying, "you spent your money, now GTFO." How about a simple "thank you" for my business?

/pet peeve

kombat said:
Yep, Newtonian physics works great, when you're travelling less than 20,000 mph and only have to worry about gravity from one planet. Unfortunately, rocket science doesn't adhere to those restrictions, so calculus and relativity are required. :)

I have a BS in Applied Mathematics with a Physics concentration and a Masters Degree in Financial Analysis and I still think that rocket science is relatively easy compared to many other areas of science. A little calculus, a little relativity and a couple of first order differential equations does not an obnoxiously difficult science make. I apologize, but I still contend that rocket science is fairly low on the list of difficult sciences.
I think that "it's not brain surgery" would be a much better comparison. The human brain and its mechanism is much less well understood than the physics, engineering and math involved in rocket science.
Cheers!

I have a BS in Applied Mathematics with a Physics concentration and a Masters Degree in Financial Analysis and I still think that rocket science is relatively easy compared to many other areas of science. A little calculus, a little relativity and a couple of first order differential equations does not an obnoxiously difficult science make. I apologize, but I still contend that rocket science is fairly low on the list of difficult sciences.
I think that "it's not brain surgery" would be a much better comparison. The human brain is much less understood than the physics, engineering and math involved in rocket science.
Cheers!

True. "Rocket science" is based on quantifiable forces, and is fairly straightforward and predictable. Machines can determine the outcome. But try to apply an algorithm to something like biology. Unlike the case of classical physics, there you have the element of unpredictability. Cells can mutate, diseases can suddenly become immune to treatments that worked before, etc.

/I prefer the term rocket surgery, anyway. ;)

True. "Rocket science" is based on quantifiable forces, and is fairly straightforward and predictable. Machines can determine the outcome. But try to apply an algorithm to something like biology. Unlike the case of classical physics, there you have the element of unpredictability. Cells can mutate, diseases can suddenly become immune to treatments that worked before, etc.

/I prefer the term rocket surgery, anyway. ;)
Beat me to it.

A little calculus, a little relativity and a couple of first order differential equations does not an obnoxiously difficult science make. I apologize, but I still contend that rocket science is fairly low on the list of difficult sciences.

What percentage of the general population between ages 15 and 85 do you think could correctly solve a simple first order differential equation?

I would say less than 2%. If you walked into Wal-Mart and asked 100 people, I'd say you might find 2 people who could do it without any advance preparation, and I think that's being generous.

I think that qualifies it as "difficult," don't you agree?

What percentage of the general population between ages 15 and 85 do you think could correctly solve a simple first order differential equation?

I would say less than 2%. If you walked into Wal-Mart and asked 100 people, I'd say you might find 2 people who could do it without any advance preparation, and I think that's being generous.

I think that qualifies it as "difficult," don't you agree?
Heck, in our local Walmart, if out of 100 people you could find 2 that had the slightest idea what you were talking about when you say "first order differential equation" you'd be lucky.

You can say that it may be easy to you, because you have studied it. to the people who have not studied it or get a advanced degree in it, its not that easy. but speaking from experience I can tell you this vast majority of the people who I have met with PhDs and master's degrees are brilliant at what they have studied, but seem to be completely lost when it comes to a lot of common sense things.

Goofynewfie said:
You can say that it may be easy to you, because you have studied it. to the people who have not studied it or get a advanced degree in it, its not that easy. but speaking from experience I can tell you this vast majority of the people who I have met with PhDs and master's degrees are brilliant at what they have studied, but seem to be completely lost when it comes to a lot of common sense things.

Ok - I will submit. Rocket science is hard enough to be considered.
It's rare that I get to be a math/science geek in my everyday life, but I get it and humbly defer.
2% at Wal-Mart? I'd say that was an exceptional Wal-Mart. At my local one, I wouldn't go higher than 1% including myself.

kombat said:

Just to clarify, Sir Isaac Newton invented the Calculus so that he could explain the Physics. At least it's not rocket surgery!

You can have your cake...and eat it too!
What else do you do with a cake? I never did understand that one.

You can have your cake...and eat it too!
What else do you do with a cake? I never did understand that one.

The original saying is "You can't have your cake and eat it, too." This makes more sense, kind of like saying you can't have the best of everything. Somewhere along the line people started saying it with "can" instead of "can't", to imply you can have the best of both worlds. Fair enough, but if you haven't heard the original saying, this "can" version doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I also find this annoying! There is no "we" or "us" or "my team," unless you are on the team or own it!!

"Irregardless" Someone foolishly created a double-negative here, when they probably intended to say "regardless."

"I could care less" The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," meaning they are at the highest point of apathy. If they say "I could care less," then they aren't very apathetic, and the statement doesn't have much impact.

I'm one of a few who still like "I could care less." To me there is a ... at the end. Implying "Man, I COULD care less about something, but I cant even be bothered to think WHAT that would be"

Back