Wooden mug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFatDad

Reaction score
We are moving soon and my electic brewing will be put on hiatus for a while. However, the wood shop is open (yet). So, my brother and I made some "authentic" white oak mugs! According to Google math they should hold about 1.4 liters (48oz). Finished with mineral oil. Not sure about head retention. Also likely to foam like crazy I would assume from the wood grain. I will test that tonight. Hopefully, if the keg hasn't kicked.
Prost!

Attachments

• 20200825_163246.jpg
    20200825_163246.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Snapchat-1470825381.jpg
    Snapchat-1470825381.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 111
Lol, Ya the handle is a bit obnoxious. It also foamed op about half. So I mean, good bonding with my bro and get to finish off an early Octoberfest with too much foam. I'll call it a win!

Attachments

• Snapchat-645974633.jpg
    Snapchat-645974633.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 34
I did not mean to imply it was obnoxious at all...haha. It is just a manly handle!

I'm curious how you could try to thwart the foam. Freezing it prior to filling probably wouldn't have much effect I would imagine.

Lol, no worries. I have no idea how to curb it. For now, as a novelty item I'm not too worried. Beer still tastes good.

As a woodworker, and someone very impressed with barrel making, I give you huge props! As I beer drinker...my only suggestion would be to line that tiny barrel that with stainless steel to make it more functional. Never done that, but that's what I would try to do if I were to make a wooden mug :cool:.

Funny enough, we did talk about both lining with stainless and epoxy coating. I wasn't sure about the fit with stainless and not sure about if the epoxy is food safe. It is odd because drinking from a glass it is usually somewhat cold, but this wooden stein is not cold.
Might have to look into the Renaissance fair for the full effect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AWESOME build! I just found a wooden mug I bought at a renaisance (too lazy to figure out spelling) festival. A local woodworker made them and sealed them with epoxy.

That was the only day I used them but it works great. Normal pours every time.

In my typical fashion, what started off as casual flirting with some girls working the event led to us hanging out with them after the festival closed to the public and they were nice enough to give me and my over-served friends full access to their kegs of beer and mead. It was one helluva night but one miserable morning! If I think of it tomorrow I will post a picture of mine, which isn't nearly as nice as yours and made of spalted Hackberry, IIRC. Cheers!

Back