Wooden Keezer top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning out my Keezer building and I'm curious if anyone of the many folks on HBT who built there own has ever ditched the factory too of the freezer and just made the top out of wood and insulated accordingly? I've heard a heavy top on the lid could crush the seal. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

I did it. You should be able to reuse the seal from the lid or just use window seal stripping from HD or something. It's what I did and it works just fine. I get a bit of condensation, but nothing a little wipe down doesn't cure whenever I go in there for something.

http://imgur.com/a/8kSUY#0

Nice build, that stain looks great. I'm lookin to build a tower out of wood on the top of the lid and put fridge taps into the wood there, however SWMBO doesn't think it's a grand idea to go cutting holes in the top of a brand new freezer door...So I think I'll end up doing it this way until the warranty is up and then if I like it that way I'll keep it, if not I can always put the lid on, drill the holes and do it that way. Thanks for the info

You could always do a coffin on top of the new wood top. That would give you what you both want right?

Back