Wooden Grolsch Bottle Cases, Ten Years in the Making...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciated, Depreciatied. I feel your pain. If I were unaware of the awesome work that others have shared on this site, my to-do-list would be much simpler. :mug:

Thanks, DeepSea! I ordered the handles from reliablehardware.com. Here's the link to the specific item:

http://www.reliablehardware.com/mediumrecessedhandleblack.aspx

The handles were 5 bucks apiece, and the set of 50 screws (only needed 40) were also 5... so 25 bucks plus shipping for the hardware. I was a little afraid that the handles would be flimsier than they look... not so! Very sturdy hardware that should give years of service.

I routed the rectangle about 3/8" deep, then came back and routed about half of that area 5/8" deep to accommodate the deepest part of the hardware. Never had to punch all the way through the 3/4" wall of the boxes.

Ajwyllis, you don't know how right you are. If I ever build some more of these boxes, I'm definitely going to contract out the fabrication of the dividers. The wooden ones I made will work well enough, but they have been a major PITA every step of the way: A pain to cut out, a pain to sand, and they will be a pain to polyurethane (the one chore that's still ahead of me). Next time, I'll build some nice boxes, but the idea of having someone with a cnc machine cut out some plastic dividers for me is VERY appealing.

That said, I've made a lot of progress in the months since I last posted here. My apologies for my laziness in not bringing this build to a close sooner.

Just an idea, but why not make the dividers out of that white FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) paneling used for bathroom and shower walls. They sell it at HD and Lowe's. It's not much more expensive than a decent 1/4" plywood and is already water proof. It cuts and mills just like plywood, except please wear a dust mask to avoid the fiberglass dust.

Wow, thanks for giving my old thread a bump! The FRP board is a very good suggestion. I've worked with the stuff before.

Believe it or not, I've yet to use my cases or Grolsch bottles. They are on standby for when I get into bottling. So far all of my homebrew has been kegged.

I just realized that I never posted pics of the finished product... I'll try to do that when I get home.

Here's a pic of the finished cases.

image-891169839.jpg

I should also include a some pics of the flush mounted handles. I ordered these from... ? ... I know I posted the link earlier in this thread. They are intended for music gear (speakers, amps, etc.), but they are also great for beer boxes! They're quite sturdy and I'm pleased with how they fit into the design.

image-1103500083.jpg

image-1677160222.jpg

This is a great idea. I think I just found a weekend project to get all of my Grolsch bottles out of my old beat up cardboard wine boxes.

Yea, it was a fun project to work on. So far all my brew has been kegged, but I'm looking forward to using these for bottling at some point.

Back