wooden barrel project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat1

Reaction score
ok we all have seen some form of the wooden barrel beverage dispensers. I would love to do up one of my old cider barrels into a work of art that i could stand in the dinning room and not have to go downstairs to get beer from my ugly fridge with the tap in the door. But I want to be able to cool it in there also. I was thinking about insulating the inside and finding one of those dorm room size fridges and tearing the guts out. just looking for ideas. I saw one where a guy built a box on the back with a fridge unit in but i would like to have nothing sticking out but a cord and a tap.... must fit a co2 bottle and a 5 gallon corny keg. am i dreaming or can it be done?

It can be done. There are a number of folks here who have done this with various cabinets and other furniture. A barrel will take up far more space than a mini fridge with the equal amount of space. It will also be a challenge to line the interior with insulating foam and seal it. Also, with the guts of a fridge, there is the issue of dissipating the heat on the heat side coils. You will need to vent these, probably with a large opening on the back. Good luck.

Back