Wood integrated boil kettle. Any benefit or just novelty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
Just had the idea that i could probably figure out a way to design a 10 or 15gallon homebrew kettle with permanent wooden screws or pieces fixed to the inside of the kettle. When designing my own recirculating system i out a hole in the wrong place and i clogged the whole using a close nipple and two nuts as you can see in this image. This made me realize that it would be easy to modify this mistake into fixing wooden panels onto the inside of the kettle. I have heard of kettles and mash tuns being insulated with wood on the outside but never on the inside. And of course barrel aging or aging using wood chips happens after mashing and boiling. But what about imparting wooden flavors during the boil? Would it have any benefit.
1513539421833.jpeg
1513539434941.jpeg

Agree with Golf ... (at first I though his name was Go Fish ) :)

Anyway, that hole you made is in a good spot for a whirlpool arm (if you use a pump) .
I have one on my kettle and pump the hot wort through a counterflow wort chiller and then back into the kettle for whirl pooling.

I don't think the wood will stand repeated boilings, it will eventually come apart. Before that it will shrink and swell considerably going from dry to boiled and back.

Back