Wood Finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cease

Reaction score
Like many keezer builds mine started with the OK from the SO. Before she could change her mind I bought a 7.1 cuft Igloo freezer and plan on building the base this weekend.

I plan on using red oak for the front and side paneling (coffin style keezer), the tower box and a red oak slab for the counter. Despite having only two years wood shop in high school I feel pretty good about the build.

My question for you guys and gals is how did you finish your keezers? I've read about stains, fillers, conditioners, oil and water based poly and am a bit overwhelmed at the options. I like the natural color of the wood but do want it to be resistant and be able to stand the occasional tipped pint glass. How do I make it look nice, be resistant as easy as possible? Thanks for the replies!

You can get a "natural" stain. I'd put a few coats of poly on it too.

Mine is stain with several coats of poly on it to protect from spills.

In my workshop I work with hardwoods everyday (oak, maple and walnut) and I like the way the amber in a Marine Spar varnish brings out the grain in the hardwoods like Oak and Walnut. It's waterproof too. I used a 2 part epoxy over the spar varnish on mine but I work with 2 part epoxy everyday too.

I would suggest a marine/spar varnish to make the grain pop and then a few coats of gloss poly because the poly will give a higher sheen. Sand lightly with 400 grit sandpaper between coats. My guess is that 3 coats will give you plenty of protection.

I prefer staining it, then putting several coats of a semi gloss lacquer on it. Dries very quick. Usually within the hour or less. I can usually put anywhere from 4 - 7 coats of lacquer on in one day. You can sand in between the coat. I usually use a 4" or 6" skinny roller to put the lacquer on as it will self level, the only draw back is that you need a well ventilated area to do this in. Lacquer will give you a clear coloring, as will poly.

If you want to use something that does not have much oder, then the water base poly will work. It goes on a little milky, but dries clear.

Back