wood chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwag001

Reaction score
Hey I was thinking of making a porter, and duringy fermentation process I was going to add mesqiute or some other type of wood chips what's your guys opinion

I've used oak cubes, I like then better than chips because they have more bulk and behave more like a stave. I'm not sure how well mesquite would work.

Oak cubes?? Where can I find those, and I was just thinking out loud, don't know what kind of chips or cubes I would use

You can find them at your LHBS next to the chips. If you want a more balanced, deeper oak flavor the cubes are the way to go. The chips have a ton of surface area compared to the cubes so you can only age a short time on the chips and there's a bigger chance of the wood overwhelming the flavor.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/tips-wood-aging-119445/

What would you soak the chips in, or cubes and for how long? Also how would you pitch it into the beer? I'm asking because I have an IPA coming soon and it comes with oak wood chips.

Check out the thread I linked to, and listen to the podcast. There are some general guidelines, but you're just going to need to do a lot of tasting.

If it's an IPA and you don't want to age it forever (I wouldn't) you might want to use the chips.

Back