Wood burning anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Raspy

Reaction score
I recently picked up a wood burning tool and have been fiddling around a bit. I'm currently making a wall mounted bottle opener with a well-known craft brewery's logo on it (i will post picture as soon as I get the bottle opener attached). I also plan on making a mash paddle and burning something cool into the handle, just haven't decided what yet. Anyways, does anyone else have any cool wood burning creations they want to show off? Perhaps a keezer collar, mash paddle, oak barrel, or anything for that matter? If so, please share.

It's not beer related. But my wife free handed this table.

image.jpg

Thanks for posting, that is absolutely beautiful. Your wife is extremely talented.

I made some tap handles out of oak whiskey barrel staves a while back. I printed off the design on a laser printer then used the wood burner to transfer the design to the staves. I finished them off with some polyurethane. This was my first ever wood burning project and I like the way they turned out. Here's a pic of the them (and the practice one) before applying the poly.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415715700.126248.jpg

Love the tap handles (of, and the table too - dude - that's a work of art). I am planning to make my own from wood too, and I've been thinking about burning them. Can you tell me what kind of wood burner you used?

I really wanted to use this 1" pine that is left over from the barn. It looks great, but I'm afraid it might be too soft to properly seat the bronze inserts. Anyone ever try this with pine?

Thanks. My wife appreciates it. She's an artist and a tattoo artist. She has a very eclectic style but I think wood burning is her best medium.

Unfortunately, the table gets filed under "shop inventory" meaning: everyone loves it and it brings people in the door but no one is going to pay that much money to buy it.

I made this plaque for my parents a couple years ago.

602838_4407488820374_1299481555_n.jpg

They were pretty pleased with it.

That plaque is awesome as is the table another poster's swmbo burned.

I've been thinking about wood burning my brewery logo that JINX designed for me into the free mash paddle I got from Grizzly Snuff INC.

Unfortunately, I'm far from being artistic and haven't narrowed down the best way to make a stencil for it.

View attachment 1421756266408.jpg

By stencil do you mean you're not sure the best parts to highlight in in black & white, or are you unsure how to get the pattern onto the wood to start burning?

If you're just looking to get the pattern onto the wood first:
Print your pattern in B/W in reverse with a laser printer.
Lay the paper face down on the wood.
Iron the back to transfer the design.
Burn with a wood burning pen as you please.
Lightly sand the surface to remove any leftover toner transferred from the pattern.

That plaque is awesome as is the table another poster's swmbo burned.

I've been thinking about wood burning my brewery logo that JINX designed for me into the free mash paddle I got from Grizzly Snuff INC.

Unfortunately, I'm far from being artistic and haven't narrowed down the best way to make a stencil for it.

Just remove all the color (aka burn in everything that is black)

co5bnj0x copy.jpg

How do u render it in black and white? I have a copy of the logo without the blue inside the circle and I think this may work better for the burning purposes.

Now ill just have to see if my printer is a laser jet printer and get this ironed on to my mash paddle...

Is reversing the image done in the print preview screen or do you use paint or a similar program?

View attachment 1421869810818.jpg

I would use paint or something similar. Personally, I'm a big fan of Gimp.

Not to step on JINKS' toes, but how about this:
1421869810818.jpg

You may need to play with the brightness/contrast so it prints bold enough to transfer.
If you don't have a laser printer, you can always print it off on what you have (and darken it from there if you want) and then go to the library or somewhere and photocopy your print. That will transfer just as well.

This should work.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for the original design also jinks, almost ordered glasses with the original colored design on them, trying to find a place with lower minimum orders.

Can't wait to make some labels and utilize it.

Awesome! I like when people who have more skills than I help a guy out. I would rather see someone get something good than worry about getting offended.

And that's why I love this forum. Solid sense of community here!

I don't know so much about having more skills rather than just having the right tools on hand. I went into GIMP and used the "Find Edges" filter, then desaturated it to black and white. I don't know why I didn't flip it, though. Wasn't thinking, there! Nice workmicrobusbrewery.

Back